Thread: Google web fonts.

Blog Entries

Default Google web fonts.

I think this is new and could be really useful to us cartophiles...

Google are organizing millions of free fonts, primarily for the web but I think the idea is that you can use them for anything. If not at least you should be able to get the type face out of it. As you can tell, I haven't played with it yet.

Since google seem to do things that everyone else is already doing but only in a way that's actually nice to use, this might end up being my font bank.

http://www.google.com/webfonts/v2

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool! Thanks for posting RR.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

wow, great find! License info says: "All the Google web fonts are open source. That means that you are free to to use them in any way you want, independent of whether you're working on a private or commercial project.". So for websites this is awesome. I dont think the font-files themselves are dowloadable so you cannot use them in your gimp, ps, etc. tools. Still, I like this a lot! cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I spent some time trying to figure out a work-around for downloading 'cuz there's 3 or 4 there that I don't have and need. Yes, need, I'm an obsessive completist and if there's something I don't have then I need it. Couldn't find a way to dl so, dang. Makes me want to do a website just to put those fonts to use.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I played with it briefly and like the UI. You get a word, sentence and paragraph view and its really cool to see it in paragraph view when you can see instantly how readable it is. Now I thought that the idea was that you could make a web page and use these fonts with it so at some point you have to be able to get the font or some URL pointing to it. Maybe that url is a google one... I'll have another play in a mo.

I see they released Google+ today too. See the latest XKCD for the most totally right in the bulls-eye explanation of what that's all about.

EDIT - nope its a total piece of cake. You just add the ones you like to your collection and then affirm the use and in the top right is "Download collection" link and it zips them all up and gives them to you. Nice.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-29-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sweetness. This is why I say that I am technologically challenged...because I'm stupid.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm so checking this out! Thanks for posting the link Redrobes.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 06-29-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Guild Apprentice

+1 - VERY Useful indeed - many thanks :-)
    Landgrab website: Strouden - Spinward Marches 2327

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome find, thank you.