Thread: June/July Challenge Entry: Trade Routes of a Maritime Empire

Default June/July Challenge Entry: Trade Routes of a Maritime Empire

Trying a different style, and going for more of a old timey canvas map. No names yet for anything as the focus is more on the trade routes of this society.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	june_july_lite_challenege_wip_1.jpg 
Views:	4088 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	36736

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Nice so far!

Hey, I have a question for you about that frame. I was trying to make something like that just the other day but I couldnt figure out how. Is there a quick way to create a black and white checker style frame like yours?

If you're using photoshop (these might work for others such as GIMP, though I've never used it before):
    1. Make a new 200x200 image and fill the backround with black.
    2. Make 2 100x100 white squares, one in the top left corner, other in the bottom right corner (they should meet at the center and create a simple 4 square checkerboard).
    3. Save it as a pattern (Edit -> Define Pattern)
    4. Fill your canvas using the patten, then just crop away (I select the whole thing, contract the selection, invert the selection, delete (this gets rid of some of the outside), invert again, contract a little more than delete the inside.

You can make you initial pattern bigger or smaller depending on how...checkery you want the border.

For the inner one I simply inverted the colors.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Thanks! I got that to work and added a nice patterned frame onto a map I'm working on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breathmap6small.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	36896  

I didn't really know what else to add to this, so I put in all the names for the various towns and ports, added some mountains to break up the trade routs on land, and put in a giant vortex in the middle of the sea to break up a few of the sea routes.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	june_july_lite_challenege_wip_2.jpg 
Views:	3101 
Size:	742.3 KB 
ID:	36996

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe add some kind of symbols/icons that note the type of goods available at various ports/etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.