Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June/July Challenge Entry: Junjul Isles

Default June/July Challenge Entry: Junjul Isles

I was thinking about not doing this so I'm going to force myself to put this up in the hopes that I will find the time and energy to complete it. Depending on workload I may be able to get into it. I have ideas yet for this including and not limited to tossing the entire entry out the window and starting over but here goes.

The Junjul Isles (I know, creative isn't it? hehe)

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junjulisles.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	788.2 KB 
ID:	36737  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the colors but I think it could stand to be "smoothed out" some. It looks very texturey or choppy or something, words escape my brain at the moment. I know that you've been doing this style for a while now, and I can dig the experimental side of things, but I think something smoother might be even more cool. But, you know, it's your baby so whatever, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I totally agree, I got home early and have been fiddling around with it for a bit. I most want to do something about the jittery shorelines I ended up with. I should have an update here in a bit.

And thank you for your honest input, I'm interested in taking this as far as it can go and like you said, I've been doing this for a while now and I'm starting to run out of ideas on what to tweak next. Ideally I would like to have 3-5 images using this style for my portfolio so I show that I can reproduce the look and then I'll probably move on to something different until someone requests the style again.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Some updates, mostly messing with things I haven't used before and some hand work on the mountains.

To Do List
    1. something with the Ocean.
    2. compass rose
    3. Map border (probably try out Arshesh's new tutorial
    4. locations on the map.
    5. I would like to do some illustrations for some of the locations but I'm not sure how I'd incorporate that yet.
    6. Other ?

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	44 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	36748  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-28-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Not much time today but I added some forested areas and adjusted some layers as well as coloring. On the leftmost upper island - the straight line in the mountain side is the entrance to a Dwarven civilization. I may add some township down near the shore for shipping and trade. I still have much to do but this next week is going to be a killer for me so we'll have to see how far I can get.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	46 
Size:	997.3 KB 
ID:	36786  

Sea-faring dwarves...hmm, could become my second favorite race after dwarves . Anyway I love the way you "painted" the sea, with no zoom it really kind of seems like watercolour! Nice job!

Thanks. Hehe, it seems Sea-faring dwarves are a theme of mine : Dwarf-Fortress-Aquatic. I have been thinking about including this somehow in a side image or something but we'll see.

Seafaring dwarves. The mass-to-volume ratio strongly suggests that they'll be spending a whole lot of time running along the bottom with their little cheeks bulging with that last breath of air...

Nah. They'd just be the only race to invent flotation vests during the Stone Age.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Added some labels. I also sketched out a side view of the entry chambers to the Dwarf city of Dharvos and some of you may recognize the ship from a previous entry of mine. If not you can see the link mentioned above to the Dwarven Aquatic Fortress. This is the story of those seven ships.

I've struggled a bit with putting the illustrations down on here and I'm still not entirely certain I'm happy with my format. At first I created a separate pane for the illustrations but I scraped that. I've not put pictures on top of my map before so I figured I needed to try.

The Side view image is actually very reduced from it's original. I could post that if anyone is interested in seeing it full size.

Still to do - Compass rose and scale.

edit: text corrections

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	54 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	36841  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast