Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New macuser cartographers from switzerland!

Guild Novice

Default New macuser cartographers from switzerland!

Hi everybody!
    My name is Arnaud, i'm 18 years old and i'm new here! I speak french so forgive me for the bad english! I hope you'll understand me!
    I came here because i want to do a really cool map! I'll masterise a campaign on D&D in a universe that i want to build on a map, but i don't now anything on maping and i use mac, si it's more complicated because many tutos are for windows!

So i come here, hopefull, thinking that maybe someone could explain me how to create a beautiful map on gimp or another software that i could downlaod!

I have 3 months of holidays so i have many times for it!

Good Night and good carthography, Alak!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know that there is a conversion of my Photoshop atlas tutorial in French somewhere in the tutorial section. It is for Windows but the only real difficulty is just the keyboards shortcuts used, and those are quite easy. There might be a Gimp conversion of the same tutorial but it is not in French. So you could take both tutorials and sort of read along both of them at the same time. In the process you might be able to make the first French Mac Gimp conversion of my English Windows Photoshop atlas tutorial. Worth a shot at least, and welcome aboard.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Thanks for the advice, i found both! I have already a question! the first step of the english Gimp translation is to rename the background layer by double-clicking on it, but i don't have any layer when i open Gimp! I think that the answer is really simple but i don't understand!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know nothing about how Gimp works so you will have to ask the person who made the Gimp conversion. Or someone else around here who knows Gimp. Sorry about that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

no problem thanks for the advices

Blog Entries

You might try running through a more basic "Introduction to The GIMP" type tutorial first. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmW5ndnEqw or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWL9UI9qrU

Guild Novice

Thanks for the links!

Hello, you might want to try http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ps-in-the-GIMP. Its very easy to follow, even though English is not your first language(mine neither). If it helps I know German, if you know it i could translate what you can't figure out by yourself.

About the layer, when you start GIMP you have no "document". Go to the left box (the one with the pencil, bucket etc tools) go to file, new, and choose a size that you want. Than you will see in the top right corner a Background layer. Adding new layers and copying them isn't hard, you will manage it.

My advice is don't give up, if you are like me you may not like what you make at first but it will get better.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast