Thread: Having an impossible time drawing recessed canyons and valleys

Default Having an impossible time drawing recessed canyons and valleys

I can't draw worth a damn but I'm trying to make a world map for a project I'm working on. I started with Star Raven's delightful cartography brushes and then discovered that I could, actually, sort've mouse out additional terrain features as required, which is what I've been doing in areas like deserts or swamps or what have you.

The map's pretty big but I'm having problems with one main part - the canyons. I just can't wrap my head around the thatching and how to illustrate the things.

The map I'm working on needs a web of canyons right around that area of the map, but I have no idea how to draw the recesses properly. I've combed around here for any examples, but I've not found anything really close enough to use as a reference.

Any advice?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

You have a good start. The only problem you seem to have is the transition from the flat land down to the canyon on the upper part. You did it fairly well on the lower/nearer part. You need just do the same on the other side, start with short lines at the end and make them longer when you go to the center of the canyon.

Saw this and thought why not do a quick step-by-step on how I do canyons. Not in the style as your map Jamsessionein, but maybe it helps. cheers, DJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon.jpg 
Views:	4253 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	36750  

Nice mini-tutorial Dj.

You might also just want to take a look at a map Ramah did here to give you an idea. The big thing that is going to help is getting the shadows right. Just determine where the light is coming from and place your shadows accordingly. If you get stumped grab a shoe box or something and place a light near one side of it and look at how the shadows fall.

Also, drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a rock so don't be too hard on yourself.

Oh I guess I could link one of my own but it's not as curvy as what you are going for and while there is a canyon path it's more cliffs but it might help.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-29-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    Saw this and thought why not do a quick step-by-step on how I do canyons. Not in the style as your map Jamsessionein, but maybe it helps. cheers, DJ
    Good! I wanted to make something similar, but had only a mouse available when I answered to the post. Once you are accustomed to pen&tablet it is nearly impossible to make something decent with a mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    That is totally bangin'

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff DJ!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

DJ, that helped immeasurably. I managed to do some decent canyons up after studying how you put those together. What I have now may not be in the exact same style as the rest of the map, but I think it's close enough that I'm not really going to worry.

glad it was of help, they sure look like canyons to me cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, good stuff. Looks like it fits to me. Dj, good job there helpin out a new guy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps