Thread: Land of Iurmän

Default Land of Iurmän

So, I've just finished a map.

I was trying two new things for me:
    -Use Coyotemax aged paper;
    -Make borders for maps with the Arsheesh tutorial;

This map is for a future RPG campaign I'll play (as the DM). It is basiclly about a land where the savages own the north and the "civilized" people live on the south.

I did it using PS and GIMP, the mountain brushes are mine, but the forest aren't (I don't know who did this brushes, downloaded time ago and don't remember from where, if anyone knows please let me know).

PS: The "¨" (What is the name of this symbol in english?) over the "a" are proposital.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iurmän.jpeg 
Views:	437 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	36755

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's called umlaut or something like that, spelling might be wrong. As to the map, nice work there. I like the empty space as it gives lots of room for text n stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nicely done Beonor. The combination of different fonts you chose really worked nicely together in this map. I also like how you kept the sea color somewhat muted, allowing it to blend softly into the parchment below. The shape of the continent, is appealing as well, and you've done a great job with the overall composition of the map. Great job!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice map Beoner! Yes, "Umlaut" is correct, but use them with care and not that often

Very nice map. As far as using the umlaut (trema), I will agree with Katto in saying definitely don't overuse it. My personal opinion is that it doesn't work when you try to slap it on English words, but is good for providing a little diversity when coming up with fantastical names (or when being historically accurate with real ones). The functional purpose of the umlaut is that it indicates a sound shift and changes the 'normal' pronunciation of a vowel. English doesn't use umlauts to indicate a shift; instead words are written with a different vowel, often with the schwa (ə) sound.

Thank you all,

*Umlaut, noted *. Actually I know that it changes the pronunciation of a vowel, but my intention was to do something diferent and give the people in Iurmän a diferent way to write the "a" - writting it with the umlaut. I chose it because it was abolished from the portuguese language (as I'm playing the RPG with brazilians) and because I had the ideia to translate to english, and I dont know any word in english that uses umlaut.

Anyway, *noted*, I'll use it more carefully next time