Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June/July Lite Challenge Entry : The Borderlakes

Any tips on how to include a border to an existing map?

I wrote up a little tut on making map borders in GIMP not too long ago (a link to which is in my sig under "Tutorials"). However, to use it you'd need to enlarge the canvas, which would mean needing to remake the Parchment layer to fit the larger canvas size.

Thanks for the tutorial, really helpful, but I have not been able to do a proper border, I get a few px bottom and left that are white, probably it's my math (or lack of it), but I will try again the next few days, it really seems unfinished without a border. My mapsize is 2000x2000, any tips on the size of the checkerboard and by how much to enlarge the canvas ( I don't really understand hot to do it, but I did it somehow) Again thanks to all members who helped me with everything from tips to brushes .

Based on the map type (parchment), I would suggest a more "destructive" approach. Turn it into a png(for the "export part when uploading"), cut out a ragged edge from around the map with a transparent layer underneath, do a bit of dodging in a few places to make it look like an old worn piece of paper.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think Jfraz may have a point here, but in case you still prefer a more traditional border here's what you can do. Enlarge the canvas size by either 100px (for smaller checkered pattern) or 200px (for a larger pattern). Next render the checkered pattern to the corresponding size (either 100px or 200px). Next follow the steps for deleting the portion of the pattern that covers your map. The pattern will of course be much larger than what you want, but it should also be consistent with the proportions of your map. Next just trim away the excess portion of the pattern that you don't want. Select the whole image, shrink the selection by however much you wish, invert the selection and hit delete. To get rid of the excess canvas where the pattern had been go to "Image" and hit "Zealous Crop". That should do it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 07-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I think Jfraz may have a point here, but in case you still prefer a more traditional border here's what you can do. Enlarge the canvas size by either 100px (for smaller checkered pattern) or 200px (for a larger pattern). Next render the checkered pattern to the corresponding size (either 100px or 200px). Next follow the steps for deleting the portion of the pattern that covers your map.
    Use a layer mask on the rendered checkboard layer instead.....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey bro, don't forget to put the 'pound pound pound Latest WIP pound pound pound' tag on your posting or we won't get to see your entry in the thumbs.

Looking good too.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

What do you mean by that, i didn't quite get your drift (are you reffering to post my latest wip so it will be included in the vote?)

Yes. You need to put ### followed by "Latest WIP" and then another ###. I wasn't sure what would happen if I put the exact line in your thread so I tried to be clever which only served to make you wonder what I was talking about
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Sadly I did not have time for more work on my map, I had a full schedule of job interviews and studying for exams, so I will post my chosen map now, hopefully I can work a bit tonight, we will see.
    So here it goes :
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip junjul final golden multiply + hue.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	36984  
    Last edited by AlexTna; 07-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast