Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant

Post Greetings

Hello all. I found this site while poking around google for some ideas for fantasy world maps and figured I would check it out. Between the 9-5 and freelance design work I'm around my computer far too much, but I'm wanting to try my hand at digital Fantasy Cartographry and this seemed like the place to go for that.
    My primary reason for taking this on is to try and create a map for my wife. She's writing a book and is having problems laying out some of the scenes, so I'm hoping when she can "see" the world, it will help.
    I'm interested in checking out CC3 and some of the add-ons, but for now I'll be tackling this task with Photoshop or other elements of CS5.
    I'm new to this, but very experienced with design and working with Photoshop so if there are any general questions I can help with I'd be glad to.

Thanks,
    Dan

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome aboard to you and your missus. You'll find plenty of PS stuff around these halls for you to sink your teeth into.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome! Getting spousal buy-in for one's mapping efforts - that's golden :-). And if you already know your way around Photoshop and how to make a pleasing composition out of bits and pieces, you're way ahead of the game. Have you rummaged around in the tutorials to see what's available?

Before you go and buy CC3, you may want to explore what you can do with the software that you already possess and are familiar with. There are allot of loyal CC3 users out there (including some influential members here at the Guild) who love this software and can skillfully employ it to great affect. However I hear that there is a learning curve involved, and while the initial package is cheap, I hear that it is somewhat limited unless you decide to purchase additional software (and the price can quickly add up for doing so). Moreover, as a personal taste, overall I have been far more impressed with the capacities of PS (and GIMP for that matter) than I am with that of CC3 (no offense to you CC3 loyalists out there!). Thus, I'd reccomend trying your hand at some of the tutorials here before making the decision to purchase additional software; you may find that you don't need it after all.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing what you come up with if you choose to share
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Welcome to the Guild!

Can you do cool things with CC3...Yes, It's all I use, can it be done in other mediums...yes. It is as was said above, all about preference.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave