Thread: New Map Pack - Pirates!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default New Map Pack - Pirates!

Now you too can have your players adventure on the high seas. This map pack has two ships. The first is a modest 35′ two masted pinnace (25′ without the bowsprit) suitable for green adventurers starting out island hopping in an archipelago, or for sneaking up on a larger vessel silent-like:

The second map is a different deal entirely. This is a four masted, square rigged ship of the line. An ocean going galleon that would be the pride of any corsair’s fleet. If your world has a Blackbeard then this is the ship for him. In my game I lined the rails with ballistae, and crewed it with a war wizard but how you use it is up to you. As a side note, characters balancing on a deck are flat footed, and I’d say pirate crew should have a few levels in rogue. Your players may see the crew as minions they can cut through, but sneak attack them with a ballista and they’ll change their tune pretty fast.

I had a ball making these maps, and using them in my home game. I hope they come in handy to you too. I hear there’s a piracy adventure path looming on the horizon for Pathfinder – Skull and Bones. I know I can’t wait.

The map packs are designed to be as flexible as possible. The packs contain:

• multi-page pdf scaled to print at 1 inch=1square, in both letter format and A4 with full colour and printer friendly greyscale.
    • High resolution jpgs of the ships for home printing and for use in virtual tabletops (vtts) – with and without grids.
    • pngs of the two ships with semi-transparent rigging, so that they can be used in mobile ship combat within a vtt.
    • Ballista and ladder pngs to kit out your tall ship with the paraphernalia of war.
    • Maptool map files that can easily be imported into any campaign with vision set up, for quick use in any OGL, 4E of PFRPG game. The files require maptool 1.3.b84 or newer to work.

So you can print off the battlemap of the square rigger and then cut out the pinnace as and use it as a mobile ship token, or you can import the whole lot into maptool and have both ships work as mobile tokens. Grab your marlin spike, hurl the grappling hooks and prepare for boarding!

You can pick up the map pack on RPGNow and Paizo.

And if it all (inevitably) goes horribly wrong, there’s a ready made shipwreck map pack for your players to explore, once they’ve been sucked down to the briny deep by the tentacles of the kraken.

Really great maps as usual
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sings "A pirate I was meant to be...!"

Nice ships. Repped.

Thanks Pirates are just a classic adventure. I ended up creating this because I just couldn't find a good map of a proper galleon. Thanks for the rep!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You keep getting better and better my friend. Nicely done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I wish I had 1/10 of your talent...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I wish I had 1/10 of your talent...
    I wish I had 1/20th of his talent, and 1/50th of his time....lol
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I wish I had 50 times more time....

Thanks for the compliments all - this was a great pack to put together. It's always fun to do a personal piece and have it turn out well! Also, I have to thank LoneWandererD for the notes on water effects in PS. Very handy.