If anyone with knowledge of plate tectonics, vulcanism, and mountain placement can take a look at my work I could really use some feedback. It's a basic map I threw together before I get into terrain, because I can't work out climates until I am sure about my mountains.

I am trying to create (or recreate) a fantasy world I have been working on for quite some time. I redrew my map and as I was working on the climate and currents, etc., I became skeptical that my mountain ranges were feasible. I have included a map below with the basic mountain structure. I was trying to justify the mountain ranges by reverse engineering the tectonics.

I am not certain if any of it is workable. There are a few mountain ranges that I need to be where they are, but I am more concerned with constructing a world that is believable. The brown ranges are the result of tectonic pressure and the orange ranges are the result of vulcanism. I can play with the overall shapes of the ranges. These are not set in stone, no pun intended.

Some information you might need to decipher my gobbledy-goop:

A-E represent the tectonic plates I am proposing.

A1 and A2 are either two separate plates or a single plate. I am leaning towards the latter. I don't believe a plate like A2 could even exist, but I might be wrong.

The area marked 1, yellow, is where plates A and D are puling apart. Or to be more accurate A is moving NW.

Plates C and E have separated from the "Pangea" of A, B, and D. I don't know if this is possible. [NOTE: The fault line for plate D should be to the west of the mountain range on the left and in the water. I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late.]

I also have a question regarding glaciers, since they affect mountain ranges. There was a glacier moving south in the white area marked 2. How far south can it travel? Can a glacier reached the 30th parallel? [Now you know why I included latitudes.]

I apologize if this is confusing. Any feedback regarding the tectonics, mountain placement, and that damnable glacier would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New World Tectonics.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	511.1 KB 
ID:	36807