Thread: The World of Maran'Tir

Wip The World of Maran'Tir

Hi fellow Map-Addicts / Map-Junkys / Map-Crazy Freaks and other subjects interested in the topic of maps...

Im pretty new and poted a "teaser" just yesterday. As RPG could not be made today, I got my rear* up and worked a little on my maps.

Today I want to present you with three maps, all still in work.

The first one is a sketch of the "continent" of Maran'Tir, known to the human civilization (which is only a small part of the continent). Maran'Tir is the northern of two continents in my book i am writing (working-title: "Aryana"). It's an fantasy novel with darker storyline and a gritty world. It's about impeding doom and all other things dark

So okay, after the sketch I can offer the map of the land Askan (location can be seen on the sketch of Maran'Tir). Its still pretty empty except for the major land features, no cities etc.

After that I offer two version of Alan'dur, the land south of Askan. Alan'dur is where the main protagonist of my book comes from (the sweet maiden named Aryana).
    Version One is the stand as of today without my crappy coloration. Major features are in, only missin are still more towns/cities, as well as the names for some major features.
    Version Two is my try of coloring the map with PS6. Names are re-done with a few fonts and so far im still working at it...

Heeeere we go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alandur2 Kopie.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	603.0 KB 
ID:	2456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alandur1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	2457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	askan_norm.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	2458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aryana04_small.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	2459  
    Last edited by pyrandon; 02-23-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: (milder language)

no responses make me sad

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Again, beautiful maps, I really like your style of drawing. And don't worry about no responses... sometimes it takes a while before people post... and it being the weekend, I'm sure it kinda slows down somewhat

Thanks

About the posts... its okay to take a while, no problem with that.. was just anxious

But I must admit I rely on answers, as I need somethign to spur me on!

I think if you can help it, you shouldn't use the computer for labelling. Your hand-lettering is lovely, and I'm quite jealous of it, although some of the fancier scripts look a little scribbly. Your test strokes are still quite visible behind the final strokes.

Anyway, even after colouring, the maps are quite obviously hand-drawn, and the computer fonts stick out a little bit.

I do like your style on these maps. They evoke just the right amount of Tolkien to feel familiar without being a slavish reproduction of that style.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks again.

I'd like to note, that I took part of my style from Tolkiens maps.

As for the labeling.. problem is, that the maps for my books are german, so labels are all in german, too.... ^^

Nice map,
    I like the color one (to the left) and I also like the simplicity of your style, but you should add wave style line (maybe blue) to your water, so it make a better demarcation between land and sea.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com