Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP- FT Script development

I was mucking about last night trying to work some more on the glaciation thing. Has anyone ever used Fractal Terrains to make fjords before? FT has a tendency to spread out into plains as it gets close to the waterline, and fjords (I believe) are mountains that go right to the water's edge and in. Any advice or tips are welcome. The north part of the large western continent seems like a potentially appropriate place for a few fjords to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Journeyer

Fjord refers to the valley. It's a glacial valley, so U-shaped, that has since been flooded by the sea after the glacier retreated. They're often at roughly right-angles to the overall shoreline, but they can run at other angles. The walls of the fjord are indeed like mountains that drop straight down into the sea.

Rias are similar, but formed when a river valley is flooded due to rising seas or sinking land. Rias typically must have only fairly small rivers flowing into them; the sediment from a big river would fill the ria in.

I haven't worked with FT, but possibly you could get much of this sort of terrain by dropping the land level down.
    I am a geology nerd.

Are the Norwegian mountains particularly tall? If they're short, but steep, then it would be feasible to just lower the land level a few thousand feet and see if that works.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

I had been on wikipedia reading up on fjords, but hadn't made the jump to Norway for some reason.

------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234