Thread: Forgotten Realms Style of Map Question

Question Forgotten Realms Style of Map Question

Good Morning Everyone,

I have been a lurker around here for a bit and finally got to the point in my homemade campaign setting where I am starting the mapping process. I'll start out by saying I have tried searching but did not come up with much to answer the question that I am posing below.

I have CC3, read/listened to the online tutorials and think I have a decent feel for the program. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to produce a map similar to the Forgotten Realms style, as it is my favorite style of map (I think it is beautifully clean and crisp).

If anyone can recommend how to go about producing a style map like that I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks so much in advance!!

I have provided a sample from Markustay (from these forums) of what I would ideally like to achieve:

http://markustay.deviantart.com/#/d3dr092

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The Forgotten Realms maps are by Mike Schley (member name here is Schley) and that style is all hand-drawn and painted digitally. So if you want an easy way to reproduce that style, then you're out of luck - sorry. You'll just have to practice a lot like the rest of us (like Markustay) who have attempted but never succeeded in getting it just right.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you for the response, I guess that means I better get practicing!! Thanks again

Profantasy's Cartographer's Annual Volume 3 has a "Fantasy Realms" style for CC3 that is based on that look. http://sub.profantasy.com/2009/february09.html
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The Forgotten Realms maps are by Mike Schley (member name here is Schley) and that style is all hand-drawn and painted digitally. So if you want an easy way to reproduce that style, then you're out of luck - sorry. You'll just have to practice a lot like the rest of us (like Markustay) who have attempted but never succeeded in getting it just right.
    Hmmm I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that the particular map is from the 3.x version of FR and was done by Rob Lazzaretti instead of Mike Schley. Mike has done many of the 4th Edition D&D maps though.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ah, that could be. I don't know 3ed from 8ed since I don't play the games.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Profantasy's Cartographer's Annual Volume 3 has a "Fantasy Realms" style for CC3 that is based on that look. http://sub.profantasy.com/2009/february09.html
    This is great, thank you so much for the replies so far, gives me a bunch to play around with!

There is a way to do the Forgotton realms style within CC3. And while the Annual contain one such method, I believe there was another one featured in the mega-manual.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave