Thread: Vector Painting with Xara

Default Vector Painting with Xara

Ok, its not really painting, rather I am drawing shapes, applying a gradation of colors, applying transparency and feathering and stacking this color shape layered on top of others. It achieves a painterly style, though I am not quite adept at it yet, but have some grasp of the technique.

I have the needs for a cover illustration for my next upcoming patronage project for Kaidan - Obake: Bestiary of Kaidan (a monster book). My plan is to have a kitsune (fox demon on the left side), a bakeneko (demon cat) in the center bottom), a yurei ghost woman (at center top), and this image which is an Ao Nyobo (split mouthed woman; accursed) at the right side of the illustration.

I may yet commission someone to do this right, but I wanted to experiment. I used a photo of a geisha for reference.

Thoughts?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ao-nyobo.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	36889
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-04-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Eep! Now that would scare the crap out of you. Although, it would probably be more unexpected when she opens her mouth to eat you if she only had lipstick in the usual place so the width of the mouth was kinda hidden under the white paint.

Interesting technique and the results are really cool. Good stuff.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks, Ramah! I was somewhat inspired by your wonderful paint work.

She would normally have a folding fan in front of her face, looking at you demurely with her eyes, asking "Do you think I'm beautiful?" then she pulls the fan aside and eats you...

OK, here's an update, I have my yurei ghost girl behind the Ao Nyobo. I still want to 'try' and create a kitsune. My problem is trying to create hair and still look painterly.

My goal in this project is to include both iconic Japanese monsters as known in the west and iconic Japanese monsters that are rather unknown in the west - plus my favorite monsters.

GP

Name:	obake-illustration.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	869.2 KB 
ID:	36892
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Lookin' good so far GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks awesome, man. Now I want to watch 'The Grudge' again...

I think I'm going to call this illustration complete. I've named it: "Three Ladies of Kaidan".

I ended up with a satisfactory version of a kitsune.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	3-ladies-of-obake.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	36898
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The teeth sort of wrap around the outside of her skin whereas they really belong inside the mouth, where you might see some jaw bone or a gap between skin and teeth. Otherwise, looks good. If these are just conceptual rather than finals then forget what I just said.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Eh, in the Japanese version, the skin is split open with the teeth showing, no lip and very little depth of the cheek. On this illustration there is a shadow over the upper death caused by the lip on the outside. So this version is better than existing illustrations of Ao Nyobo.

It might be a concept, it might be a final, or it might be just an intellectual exercise. As the final list of monsters doesn't really exist yet. Since this is a patronage project, the patrons get a say on which creatures are included and the Ao Nyobo 'might' not make the cut.

Really I was just experimenting with creating painterly work in Xara Xtreme Pro...

Edit: here's where the illustration belongs. Concept cover for Obake: Bestiary of Kaidan

GP

Name:	obake-concept-cover.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	989.3 KB 
ID:	36907
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store