Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoomable maps

Guild Novice

Default Zoomable maps

Been messing around with various tools to find out if there was a way to make a map like you see on google maps.

Came up with this.
    http://sixmitchells.co.uk/maps/Angui...ragonajax.html

Comments and questions most welcome

Pete

Guild Novice

In the process of writing a tutorial for this, shouldn't take to long.

Looking forward to read that tutorial !

Subscribed !

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds interesting...looking forward to your tutorial.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Default Make your own zoomable maps with Deep Zoom Composer

As promised, the tutorial on how to create your own zoomable maps. Apologies for the lack of vast amounts of detail, I am just getting used to the tools myself. I would like to see what you all can do with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deep Zoom Composer Basic Tutorial.pdf 
Views:	361 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	37174

Blog Entries

Very cool. The UI for that app is hinting that it can do more than one image. Is that true and is so would you like to have a go at doing some of the tiles in the Community World Building Project (CWBP) section of this forum where the Ansium area is tiled, to see if it can cope well with them. We have a custom world that has lots of scale from global down to town plan from about a few hundred maps.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Very cool. The UI for that app is hinting that it can do more than one image. Is that true and is so would you like to have a go at doing some of the tiles in the Community World Building Project (CWBP) section of this forum where the Ansium area is tiled, to see if it can cope well with them. We have a custom world that has lots of scale from global down to town plan from about a few hundred maps.
    Thanks, I will try and see what I can do with them, I will PM you my findings. Pete

Blog Entries

Just post it here / below. We would have liked a zoomable web view of the CWBP. I write a zoom browser app so I am fine with it but it would be good to have this on the site under the CWBP section. We currently have an html link map view - i.e. an image with rectangular clickable links to the sections mapped. Having it zoom to the cities etc would be an advantage to see where we have mapped. This is it running in an app: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8 but if you can do this on a web page that would be great. In fact I could think of several world map spaces that could be done this way.

Heres a hot link to the image map of CWBP:
    http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/i...oject_Overview
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Guild Novice

Ill take a look at the viewer on YouTube, thanks. I found the image map of all the contributions, looks good, never seen it before. I tried the bottom right hand corner, to see if it was doable. This is what I managed. http://www.sixmitchells.co.uk/maps/CWBP/embed.html

Is there anyway to get the finished mapsto my hard drive without going to each thread and trying to find the latest version?

The only thing that I didn't know about when I looked about Seadragon about a year ago was that I think you have to upload your images to their server. I'll have to checkout the tutorial and see if that's still true.

edit: Awesome - it sounds real simple. Maybe I misunderstood it last time? Anyway, I'll have to try this.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-17-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast