Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westeros: A Fan Map

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Westeros: A Fan Map

Here's my version of Westeros and a bit of Essos.

I wanted something a bit more 'painterly', with geographic features that would still be obvious without interfering with the labels, allowing them to be easily read, so I used a modified version of Ascension's Swiss Atlas style tutorial. With this, I was able to create mountains and hills that were still visible and pretty, without them overwhelming everything else. One major liberty I took when making this map was to break up the coastlines in certain places a little more, to make them less regular and smooth. I used James Sinclair's maps from the paperback versions of the books for reference, and to be honest, those maps aren't the greatest on coastal detail.

I used fairly bright, primary colors when building the map, then applied an old paper texture combined with a couple of grainy filters and color overlays to achieve the grungy look. This also dulled the colors and gave them an older, richer feel. The two fonts used are Seven Swordsman (for the title, regional and geographic names), and Roman Antique (for everything else). Most of the text has a white outer glow to make it stand out against the grungy overlay, with the exception of the regional names, which use a color overlay and a black outer glow to get the same effect.

Some locations mentioned in the books aren't visible here, mainly because I did the map before I finished A Feast for Crows, so places like Horn Hill and the Quiet Isle don't show up.

The title box shows my interpretation of the sigils of Houses Baratheon/Lannister, Targaryen, and Stark.

Westeros, Essos, and anything else related to A Song of Ice and Fire are copyrighted properties of George RR Martin, obviously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContinentofWesteros copy.jpg 
Views:	9666 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	36899  
    Last edited by Diamond; 07-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.

That looks stunning Diamond! BTW, I thought you might be taking a break from mapping for a while, but I'm glad to see you around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 07-05-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks nice, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    BTW, I thought you might be taking a break from mapping for a while, but I'm glad to see you around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I found a bit more time over the holiday weekend than I thought I'd have, so this is the result of staying up until 5 in the morning one night...

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Excellent version of Westeros!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks fantastic Diamond - sure understand the Westeros mood floating around - great show on tv
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Looks really nice! Great work
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looks fantastic Diamond - sure understand the Westeros mood floating around - great show on tv
    Yeah, but what sucks is that it won't be until next spring that the second season starts.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

At least the new book will be out in a few days... nice job on the map!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, I've got it on pre-order; just finishing up re-reading Feast for Crows, so I'm nice and prepped for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast