Thread: June/July Challenge Entry: The Olayan Islands

Map June/July Challenge Entry: The Olayan Islands

I've been pretty inactive the past few months, but I decided to have a go at this challenge. The idea is to make a pretty basic, old style navigational map. The title is based of the Irish word for islands--oilean (thanks Google Translate!).

BTW, the mountains used are from vandy, and rhumb lines where based off Giddes xcf from here.

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions are welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JunJulentry WIP1.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	36928
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The map is pretty much finished. Since the first post, I made the ink bleed, and added labels, legend, and a compass. I also redid the woodcut because I thought the original one was too thick, changed the border, and experimented with a new texture.

C&C is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	JunJulentry WIP2.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	36981

Very attractive!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It's looking really good! My only suggestion would be to dial back the labels from pure black to a very, very dark colour (perhaps blue as it's the most dominant colour on the map).

Here is the latest update. Thanks for the suggestion Ravells, I like the blue labels a lot. The blue city symbols weren't that great, so I just dulled the black bit.

I didn't like the blank areas for white, so I filled them with white and turned down the opacity a bit.

I added an arms for the islands with a lot of sea related symbols because it composed of many islands. The anchor on it is from wikimedia commons and has a creative commons license.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	JunJul entry WIP 3.jpeg 
Views:	271 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	37026