Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June/July Lite Challenge Entry : The Lost Valley

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip June/July Lite Challenge Entry : The Lost Valley

Let's see if I can do any kind of meaningful mapping in the eight days I have left. I'll start out with a rough prototype of what I want to map:

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valley-a-01.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	36934

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting start...looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

First quick WIP: Elevations, Part 1.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	valley-a-02.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	36935

Is the contrast okay, can you guys still recognize the shape? It looks fine to me, but my color perception isn't normal as you know...

Random thought - since it's fairly well-known about your color perception, have you thought about just doing the map in black & white?
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    Random thought - since it's fairly well-known about your color perception, have you thought about just doing the map in black & white?
    I can see colors, it's just that I know it's not the same way other people do. Just need some feedback on borderline cases. The more I do that, the better I can judge how others will see what I see. Yah I could just go b/w but then I'd limit myself more than my disability warrants, and that sounds a tad counterproductive :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I can see colors, it's just that I know it's not the same way other people do. Just need some feedback on borderline cases. The more I do that, the better I can judge how others will see what I see. Yah I could just go b/w but then I'd limit myself more than my disability warrants, and that sounds a tad counterproductive :-)
    Makes sense. A good friend of mine is also colorblind, although non-typically so. In your pic, the source image is not visible to me in the thumbnail. I can see it in the full image, although mostly because I was looking for it. If you want it to be instantly visible, then you'll need to increase the contrast between it and the next color out. If you were wanting it to be a 'subtle, not obvious unless you're looking for it' thing, then it works on me.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Blog Entries

Better elevations.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	valley-a-03.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	565.8 KB 
ID:	36936

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    Makes sense. A good friend of mine is also colorblind, although non-typically so. In your pic, the source image is not visible to me in the thumbnail. I can see it in the full image, although mostly because I was looking for it. If you want it to be instantly visible, then you'll need to increase the contrast between it and the next color out. If you were wanting it to be a 'subtle, not obvious unless you're looking for it' thing, then it works on me.
    Thanks. I think then it's fine for now, I'll revisit it when I've done the elevations properly.

Blog Entries

Minor update.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	valley-a-04.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	556.1 KB 
ID:	36942

Blog Entries

Is the thumbnail script ignoring me? ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast