Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 2011 Challenge Entry: Mas

always dig floating islands. keep it up!
    Who is John Galt?

Okay, so the floating islands won't be closed in time for entry, I will complete it at a later date but for now I put in another back up entry for this comp, I said I wouldn't withdraw and I won't.

Without any other more creative ideas I've gone back to the base island concept and here is the completed base map, don't have a lot of time to talk right now as I'm doing this between other projects but will have more info next update probably tommorow. Will fiddle with the water some more too.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MA-S.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	37317  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 07-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Well I really like the forest texture that you are using (matter of fact I'd be curious to know how you did it!), but I think the mountains look a bit too flat. My one recommendation would be to try and add some height variation to the mountains (are you using fractal clouds or just a pattern?).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

The mountains were actually made in wilbur with a colour overlay thrown over them, they're small mountains so I wasn't going for anything spectacular. The forests are a simple technique but require a few patterns I made myself, may post something on it later.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Okay, I've tweaked the water and the mountains and started adding post map details. Basically what I'm going for is more of a tactical map, the underwater people from my previous maps believe they have found a way of detecting which of the thousands alien ruins (also from a previous map) might still have working technology. One such site had been previously marked as useless and so it was no decided to be no loss when the surfacers pushed them back into the sea. Now there back to reclaim the islands, extensive intelligence reports show the ruins to still be intact and the surfacers seemed to have dismissed it as worthless, probably becuase most of their information on such sites comes from the sea race's research from before the war.

I've added a hex grid and place holders. The white dots show the locations of sea-race units while the black dots show thier objectives, the single grey dot is going to be an environmental notice. The three rectangles connected to the dots are going to be zoomed in images of certain points of interest. I will be adding more as I go along.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	57 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	37328  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, I've pretty much done all of the details for the main parts of the map and am now working on the three smaller pictures that will go into the three vacant frames on this map. Hopefully they will be done by tommorow and then I just need to do a border, add some more text to the empty rectangles on the left and add my watermark and all will be done.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	60 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	37352  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

And I'm calling it done. It's not my best work but i was able to complete it in time for the comp and hopefully someone finds it interesting.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	226 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	37365  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

To me it is more than interesting - cool setting, feels fresh somehow!

>Moe

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty cool, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm digging the sci-fi feel.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12