Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 2011 Challenge Entry: Shores of Sarric

Default July 2011 Challenge Entry: Shores of Sarric

Well I was plugging away at this waiting to here if my idea would be ok or not, seeing as its borderline (more on the no then yes) I'll post where I'm at. If this however isn't good enough (showing the original image) then I'll fix it up but until then let me know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2a.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	36946  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Liking what I see so far Yandor

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not sure if we can allow the shapes to be blended into another shape (like into the ocean here thus losing the shape). I'm 50/50 on it and will let consensus rule.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well I made a bit more progress, I was waiting to hear for some responses (so thanks Ascension and Ravells) I guess I tried to make the original shapes more "noticeable". So what I did, was made the "Shallow Water" more prominent where the shape was, and also the seafloor cracks are the shape just set at different angles, I think thats considered cheating but does it pass now?? =P

haha well anyways its progress, and I guess the thumbnail doesn't like me... oh well! Anyways opinions?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2bb.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	37031  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

I think it more than passes now. A great idea to break the shape up into different elevations but still be noticeable. I may have to steal that idea since it's the best one so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

That's great Yandor!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks for the complements everyone, and I've made some more progress, I lost the idea of what I wanted to do with this map, so I'm kind of just toying with stuff, let me know what you think! This might be close to being the final depending on if I want to change anything or run across some more ideas.

ps I don't know of the border really fits with this map...\

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2c.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	37187  
    Last edited by Yandor; 07-18-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    Projects

I think just a color overlay of something different that has the end result of being subtle. What that color might be is hard to say but I'd start with the browns or tans slightly on the red or orange side. Maybe a pale purple, shrug. I dunno, I'd have to play with it.

i like the colors, however the water feels like it is above the ground somehow... almost like a plateau or something.

it might help to make the water actually blue in tint - this would make the eye push it back. cool colors tend to do that.
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast