Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The City of Deestan

being fairly new to cc3, and mapping for rping in general, i'd like to hear your process in creating a city like such.. few big questions of mine are...

The process you take to create the city... as well as what tools you use (you said cc3, i have citybuilder for cc3, do you use that or place everything by yourself? i've messed around with it, but only found the simple "random street of buildings" do you do that all over? or some other way?

What are the basics of a city you need to process...

IE
    castle/keep, walled city, outer city? i've never really done anything in a fantasy sense so i'm a little lost to how cities came about at that time...

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    being fairly new to cc3, and mapping for rping in general, i'd like to hear your process in creating a city like such.. few big questions of mine are...

The process you take to create the city... as well as what tools you use (you said cc3, i have citybuilder for cc3, do you use that or place everything by yourself? i've messed around with it, but only found the simple "random street of buildings" do you do that all over? or some other way?

What are the basics of a city you need to process...

IE
    castle/keep, walled city, outer city? i've never really done anything in a fantasy sense so i'm a little lost to how cities came about at that time...

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    I have the City Designer Pro or whatever it's called (waiting on City Designer 3 ), but for me, I have built cities using the random street function, and similar things.

In this thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=845 is collection of all the city maps I have done on Pen-n-Paper. I have mapped a lot of cites.

For Deestan, I took a Pen-n-Paper map, scanned it (did to post in the above thread ) converted to BMP, and then insert that as a layer in CC3. To see how to do that, follow this tutorial:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1431

Then. In CC3, I made a drawing tool for the buildings that would allow me to draw polygons in White, and then outline them in Black. This I use for the buildings, thus allowing me to draw, draw, draw the buildings as I like.

As for cities, a non-planned cities (and a lot of cities were planned, look to the Ancient Egyptians for City planing at it's finest):

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/amarna.htm

There was even an Egyptian city that was physically transported in it's entirety many miles up a river as conditions had changed to drastically at it's original location. Can't remember though.

As it is, most cities usually began as small collections of locals around a primary reason for congregation (a ford in a river ala Oxford England, a an ancient fort (London for Roman Conquests) or castle at an important geographic feature. The town then sprigs up following the lay of the land (easier to build at the bottom of steep hills and along a source of water like a river or lake) and as it grows in size and prosperity a wall may be built to protect the place. Of course a place may continue to grow after the wall has been built in which case a second or even third wall will be built to surround the whole.

In Deestan, the Original city was built as a planned community around the keep which hold a position of prominence at the mouth of a river (the smaller rivers form a bit of a delta). Good farmland, the place grow in size until the power of the nation through use of the enslaved Elementals allowed them to 'build' a new expansion tot he city. Thus the 'Old' city of Deestan has some order to it. With the collapse of the empire and refugees from the holocausts of the region, new communites are forming outside the city walls in a very chaotice fashion. If the regio continues to grow, a new city wall may be built to encompass these outsprawled areas.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 03-26-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Very nice work thus far Neon!

I opened up all the images and flipped through them like a flip book... It really helped me out as far as seeing the flow process that people use when making there maps.

Some really good stuff here. I'm intrested to see how you work the rest of the map to bring it to a polished "finished product."

Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait!

-Rob
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Nice work, NeonKnight. Very nice work indeed. Its an inspiration to me to do some more city maps!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

So, the City of Deestan is pretty much Finito for mapping purposes.

Now comes the BIG work of the Write-up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deestan.PNG 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	4556  

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

NK - Really nice, although it appears really pixelated. Do you have a higher res copy that you could post? I'd love to look at it in greater detail.

Whew. Takes a lot longer save Higher Res

But, here ya go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deestan.PNG 
Views:	303 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	4569  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't know if it was intended or not but, personally, I like Swrod road

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Don't know if it was intended or not but, personally, I like Swrod road
    No it's not

But thanx for pointing out typos.

I like personally how I can typo the same thing over and over. EVEN when I pay attention.

I had typoed Arena Street three times as Arean Street, EVEN WHEN I CONSCIOULY TRIED TO TYPE IT (check the Low Res version above )

Very pretty!

The hi res version is so pleasantly clear! Good job.

And now for extra points, list the populous .

Sigurd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast