Thread: Fantasy Novel Map

Map Fantasy Novel Map

So here's the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arulan GS v.2.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	593.2 KB 
ID:	74818

It's not bad (at least I don't think it is) but it's not too great either. Any help would be appreciated!

Southern province is Luxen, capitol is Acropolis
    Western province is Arden, capitol is Regalia
    Eastern province is Trevyck, capitol is Verrda
    Northeastern province is Necroa, capitol is Mortem Locus
    Northwestern province is Kragg, capitol is Abyssek

So, tell me what you think.
    Last edited by ChaosTheory; 07-20-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: The Map

Hey ChaosTheory!

I think it's a good start, interesting coastlines and shapes. I'm curious what program you used to apply the gray of the ocean? The splotchy quality is a bit distracting to me. If you clean that up, then go in and do another pass on your linework I think you'll have good start.

If you are doing it entirely by hand, go buy some trace paper... or rice paper... or just hold a piece of paper over it against a window; then do a clean drawing over the top.

First thing to pop out to me was your province borders. Obviously it's a rough sketch, but there are many spots that in my mind don't make much sense. Following along Necroa, Trevyck and Luxen I feel like those two rivers would fit more as being the borders. Militarily speaking at least. If you already have a plan/ history on why parts expand past the rivers, then by all means never mind what I say. Other than that I like the sketch, but I do wonder- what's up north? There's alot of space dedicated to it, is it purposely empty or...?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guild Novice

Creating maps for novels is tricky, as the story often needs the world to lay out in particular ways for things to work. The shape of the coastline is nice. I like your linework too. It feels 'modern' somehow that stuff I make doesn't.

I agree with the above point that borders tend to fall along natural delineators like rivers, mountain ranges etc, especially in pre-industrial societies, although as pointed out you might have ideas in mind historically why the borders have fallen out the way they have

Nice start though.

Chris

Thanks for your feedback guys! Sorry, I was offline for a while because of internet problems. Anyway, I made a more complete version of it. Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	515.8 KB 
ID:	75206

To Jayharchitecht: Thanks for the feedback! I used MS Paint for the coloring; everything else was pen, paper and scanner. I agree that the splotchiness gives it a bad look, and I'll clean that up.

To jackdempsey14: Thanks for the advice! I do have background in my novel for the rivers not being the border; they were originally, but then stuff happened. Up north is supposed to be mysterious and unexplored, but I may do a followup map for that area.

To Christopher Johnstone: Thanks for the advice! I do realize that the rivers should be the border, but there were wars, treaties, etc., and so the borders did shift.

Thanks guys, keep mapping!