Thread: A Haboob we had on July 3rd - some might find interesting

Default A Haboob we had on July 3rd - some might find interesting

We had a massive Dust storm about a week ago that looked like something out of The Mummy. Here is a link to Local News that has a pretty cool video of it as well as photographs.

Our power went down and I lost some mapping I was working on at the time for the current Lite Challenge as a matter of fact.

Have fun!

I normally wouldn't post it but figured someone might like it. Plus, maybe if we get a ton of messages started we can get that ridiculous Forum ban game thread out of here LOL
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll second ya there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Awesome! If anybody comes across a link to some video of that event that's less overcompressed, drop a link! I'd appreciate being able to see more details in the cloud for reference purposes.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I will look...ewww barf, when did the quick reply box become all generic looking? Is that on the server side or some setting of mine? I'll go make a post.

Oh, and I don't blame you Mid, it's an awesome thing to behold and quite inspirational.

Ok, I found some vids and if you want more just do a search for: July 5 Phoenix Haboob footage

July 5 Phoenix Haboob footage <-- time lapsed
    Some guy filming it as he drives into the cloud and well, you can imagine
    earthsky.org <-- as you might imagine it's hard to film something a hundred miles across.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 07-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

This one's a bit better; you can see the billows in the cloud more clearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYnuz...layer_embedded

Very cool!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dang, man. I'm waiting for a face to appear and swallow planes a la Mummy style. I'd be shakin in my boots if I saw that comin at me and those drivers are just "la de dah, gotta get some groceries".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I know it totally looks like a face should come out of there. As for the drivers, well I can only say they don't drive very well once that hits because you can't see jack. Watch the one I posted above where the guy drives into the storm. It's practically fade to black. It's much better to be in the house. I've had to run out and batten things down when these hit and it's like getting sand blasted the whole while.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon
    Plus, maybe if we get a ton of messages started we can get that ridiculous Forum ban game thread out of here LOL
    Banned for hating the Forum Ban thread.

LOL - Oh no, it's like the ultimate humiliation!