Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republic of South Sudan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Default Republic of South Sudan

So, we have a new country as of today! Putting the political changes to one side, I find myself strangely excited about a change to our atlases. I grew up with a globe describing the USSR, and both Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia have split during my lifetime, but this is the first time a new set of boundaries has been drawn while I've been actively making my own maps.

I suppose I'm most interested in the new maps we see from this point on. I do derive a strange pleasure from comparing atlases in that manner, and I'd guess that I'm not alone. I wonder: has anyone come across some sort of commemorative map - assuming that people still do that sort of thing?

"Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

I love comparing old atlases with the modern world. It was exiciting when Montenegro became independent. Now Sudan has split, cutting apart the rather large African nation. It makes sense why the split occured; if one draws a line roughly between South Sudan and the north, there is a clear cultural divide (another legacy of European colonialism).

A room my class used in college had a US Navy world map including Zaire, East Germany, the USSR, and many other differences. I like to keep outdated Atlases and maps, and if the wall map was in better shape, I'd wish it was mine.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

I dunno about commemorative maps, but there's a lot of Carto on the web already, of South Sudan. I guess it having been the location of so much strife and misery over decades, a lot of attention has been focused there. The UN Sudan Information Gateway has scads of maps, from vector infographics to scans of excellent paper maps. I saw for instance excellent 1:500,000 Swiss-produced topos, and in their title blocks are mentioned Russian Military 1:100,000 and 1:200,000 series. Lots mention sources like Quicksat, Landsat, Earthsat. There's a growth map of the capital, Juba, showing spread between just 2002 & 2007, including building types. Cool stuff.

Even with those resources, Google has been helping sponsor map improvement events, to get the new nation some better data to work with.

Univ. of Texas' Perry-Castañeda Map collection has links to 1:1,000,000 and 1:2,000,000 topo maps of the area - albeit as 30 to 50-year-old data. The topography hasn't changed much, though. The South Sudan government has a bunch of data online - stuff like land use planning at 1:100k and 1:50k.

Of all the online South Sudan info, I admit to being trivially tickled that their president knows the value of a good hat.

Incidentally, Sinnyo wasn't claiming that map - it's from Wikimedia Commons.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Incidentally, Sinnyo wasn't claiming that map - it's from Wikimedia Commons.
    Indeed yes! Apologies for the confusion, there; I should have added that disclaimer. No, despite my interest I haven't drawn any real geography for quite some time.

Thanks very much for the links, 'JB' - most comprehensive! - and yes, more world leaders should don hats as good as that. ;D
    "Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm interesting... shows how little attention I pay to the news. Didn't even know there had been a split.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There's a world map painted on one wall at my church - about ten feet high, eighteen wide. Found myself this morning scheming how to add South Sudan. "Standard Sharpie marker about matches the borders. Which non-adjacent color would cover Sudan's pinkish tint? Or do I have to prime SS with white, then fill with something?" Ah, the opportunities...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only bad part is not having layers and blend modes
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Animal, Vegetal, Municipal: South Sudan’s Zoomorphic Cities

They'll never, ever happen - but it's still a very cool idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast