Thread: New member, been doing this for years, not getting better at it.

Guild Novice

Default New member, been doing this for years, not getting better at it.

Hello everybody. Being amazed by the art I've been seeing in this parts, I decided to become an official apprentice. I've started doing maps about 7 years ago, with Campaign Cartographer (Exhibit A)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ketersmall.gif 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	36997

Since I´m starting a new camapign, I decided to build form my last one, and apply the little I know now of Photoshop. (Exhibit B)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mundo.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	36998

I am now trying to figure out some style of mountains, rivers and woods....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And, I don't want to sound cliché, but english is not my first language, so please, try to ignore my shortcomings.

Very happy of being a member.

Manuel

First, "not getting better" isn't true. The Domhan map seems improved to me. It's quite nice. Sure, it'll get better as you figure out compatible terrain elements, but it's a great start. I do have a comment on it - repeated from some rhumb-related thread on here not too long ago. Apparently they weren't randomly placed - they were centered near places one would want to travel to or from, as compass bearing guidelines.

Staring at it a few minutes I have another thought - you have a mixture of simulated handdrawn and sharply printed here. The linen texture implies it's on cloth, which would be pretty old-fashioned. Yet the landmasses are all crisp-edged, the lines are razor-sharp, and the legibility halos around the text are mechanically regular. I bet you could subtly 'mess those up' and make it more hand-drawn, or if you went with a more modern paper texture it might all work as though engraved and printed. Either way, the mixed-modes impression is a nit -- it really does look nice. Nice enough in fact to trigger a minor reputation-due-for-map-in-first-post award. While all and sundry are quite welcome to lurk and enjoy, we appreciate the boldness of being willing to contribute right away.

By the way, your English is fine. I hadn't noticed anything awry until you apologized.

Welcome to the Guild!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thank you both! I'm finishing my map, and expect to upload it into Finished Maps in a few minutes... I will work in the mixture styles in the next one... not sure if going realistic or antique-simulated...

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave