Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp translation of Ascension Tutorial, Questions of a begineers, step 1e

Guild Novice

Question Gimp translation of Ascension Tutorial, Questions of a begineers, step 1e

Hi everyone

First thing, i'm looking for a "teacher", a guy that i could ask when i don't understand the Gimp translation of Ascension because if i don't find someone like this, it'll be really boring for everyone, because, i'll have to posts hundred of questions on this thread!

Second thing: My first question: 1e Normally i would ended up with flat grey see but in fact my see is not flat! Do i have to use a 100% opacity brush for the see or have i made a mistake?

I ended up with this http://i.imgur.com/XrXrR.png

Sorry for the mistakes in my english, i speak french fluently but english...

Guild Novice

Does anybody got the answer? i can't go on without any advice!

Please, someone, help!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I don't use GIMP, but I'm sure someone will be along that can answer your question.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You should probably send a private message to the author of the translation...it will go to their e-mail so they will see it no matter what. I can't help you because I know nothing of Gimp.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hm, you shouldn't need to turn the opacity up at all in order for this technique to work. Just looking at your image my guess is that perhaps you painted on the wrong layer. Did you paint on the "Noise" layer or on the grey "Clip" layer?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thank you, it helps me to go on, but i'm already blocked on step 5. The tuto talks about "Ascension's Atlas Tutorial Land Gradient" and i don't know what is it! I know what is a gradient but which gradient must i use?

sorry i'm a noob!

I think Gidde uploaded a copy of the gradient directly to Ascension's tutorial page, but in case it got lost, I've attached a copy of it here. Once you unzip the file, upload it to the Gradients folder of GIMP. Then reload GIMP and you should find it in your gradients dialogue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guild Novice

Thank you very much, it works!
    Last edited by Alak; 07-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad you can help out a young 'un, Arsheesh. I was gonna rep ya but I need to spread it around...remind me that I owe ya some.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hey that's what it's all about right? Do unto others... Pay it forward... and all that.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast