Thread: The Hollow

Wip The Hollow

I thought it was high time that I produced a map for the campaign that I'm actually working on right now, instead of a hypothetical one. So, here is the local region that the game will start in, centred on the hamlet of Chandler's Hollow. The area is something of a blend of medieval rural England and Austria, with a bit of Dutch thrown in. The area is mostly populated by humans; Sheaf, Beacon and Föster are the main non-human centres.

Coastlines and elevation are pretty much finished; forests, farms and other vegetation are subject to change. Labels are mostly there to indicate the general area of where a town will end up.

Still to do: rivers, roads, settlements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chandler1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	37013

I must say, I should have done this ages ago. Just mapping out the features and everything properly has really spurred my imagination, and given me more ideas to work into the story. The way the mountains ended up did amazing things in that regard.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like going realistic as well for spurring my imagination. It's amazing how much a well done map can be a boon to brainstorming. Dig your colors and soft mountains (sort of a highlands feel but higher). I might smooth it out some in the lower elevations (a little on the bumpy side) but nice nonetheless. Based on your previous work I'm sure this will come out great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is gorgeous. My only suggestion is that to me the hard outline of the coastline doesn't fit with the softness and realism of the rest of the map...some beaches and cliffs might work maybe?

This is looking quite nice 290Blue. Looking forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Beaches! Brilliant idea, thanks Rav. I added them and they do soften up the coast really nicely. No new wip yet though as I haven't had a chance to do anything else to it.

Ascension, your "Butcher, Baker" map also gave a me a solid nudge in the plot inspiration department for this, so thanks! That really is a fabulous piece of work.

See maybe its just my eyes, but when I look at this map the farmlands appear high and the mountains appear indented... Might just be my brain screwing things up...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Might just be my brain screwing things up...
    Now as you mention it, the false perspective affects me too...

The colours are just suggesting an interpretation to us... but nevertheless I love the atmosphere and the dark style and so I will try to readjust my
    perspective ;-)

Guild Journeyer

Nice field boundaries, they have a very English feel to them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely....

Maybe it's a shadow/drop shadow/lighting direction things that's giving the 'false perspective' (I didn't notice it).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.