Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shared Worlds?

I think creating a world from the start takes all sort of people that have differnet strenghts. A mapper could be able to help a lot more in how a world works before anyone else.

I can commit to generating 3-5 potential world maps for a group to pick from, and then export slices and views as necessary for folks to start fleshing out. And I would probably also help work on smaller sections, but I won't guarantee anything just yet, since we're nowhere near that stage of development.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Right, need at least a handful of people before anything is started.

you could try recuiting here, on the WoTC forums:

http://community.wizards.com/go/foru...nture_workshop

Also, maybe Obsidian Portal? they provide campaign building wikis and so many people use it as a tool for writing out worlds - you could use that as the home for the project.
    Last edited by vman3force; 07-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

I've never heard of Obsidian Portal. I'll drop by the wizards.com forum too!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.obsidianportal.com/

That said, the problem with shared world projects is that they usually die after an initial spurt of enthusiasm. You'll need to recruit a serious core of worldbuilders to keep it going past a few weeks/months.

I put together a shared world about 6 years ago with a group of writers. It was fun, though I think only me and one other person took stories from the world. But that was all right. I do want to see if there is away to really continue with a shared world for a long period of time. That's why I've been looking into the RPG forums, seeing if there is a market there.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd love to do a shared world some day. Maybe even turn some of my designs into shared worlds, using a set of loose rules for fiction similar to what they used for the Thieves' World anthologies.

I don't think there's much of a market for worlds. There's so many of them. Yeah you can probably sell some world books if you create something reasonably interesting, but you won't live from the proceeds.

You need to come up with something different enough to sell it, and turly new unique ideas - or mixes of ideas, rather - are HARD because the market is so flooded.

That said, there's a market for related products - things that build on such a world, like fiction, game emodules, tv shows, whatever; and if they are successful the world suddenly becomes an IP. Big if, though.

I really think most worlds do lean toward something like the Thieve's world and such. More of a writing background rather then anything else.
    And it's getting to be very hard to design something differnet in a world that's never been seen before. I think that's where a group comes in, more than one person can come up with something cool.

I have a website set up for this, 3 people strong so far. If anyone is sure they want to join, please send me a PM here and I'll send you a link

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast