Thread: A Lich's Creepy Estate - Question about scale and size

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post A Lich's Creepy Estate - Question about scale and size

Hi, I am working on a project that includes a map of an island estate. There is a mansion, a formal garden, a stable, and an onsite family crypt. All of these are supposed to be contained by a pentacle-shaped (star shaped) magical hedge or bramble.

My first question is, how big should the mansion really be? If we are dealing with standard fantasy, or even gothic/dark fantasy, wouldn't it generally be pretty big? But definitions of "big" vary...many of our upper middle class houses would probably be considered mansions by the medieval peasant.

My second question is, if the star-in-a-circle shape is absolutely necessary to the plot (and it is)...how big does the star need to be in order to fit all the components I mentioned above into it? I'm really having a hard time figuring out the scale necessary for the map. The star-hedge is part of a spell that sustains the lich, so it makes sense for everything to be inside of it. But the inside area of a star is much less than the diameter of the circumscribing circle. I am worried that in order to fit things in I am going to have to make a HUGE circle (which is the island), and at that scale the buildings and other features of the map will then necessarily be so small that detail will be lost. Hopefully you can see my dilemma.

I suppose my first step would be to figure out the sizes of the different components...I'd have to research stables, as I don't know what type or size of stable would be reasonable for a low-level artistocrat (what the lich while still human). As for crypts, a family crypt wouldn't probably be that large. Gardens can vary in size, and the only feature I need to worry about is a particular fountain surrounded by four gargoyle statues.

If you need more information to answer my question, ask away. I will try to answer as best I can. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

if its a rich lich *hehe* ... then yep - he's gotta have a room for entertaining/reception/bragging - and several guest quarters, then there are his own rooms (one can't do it), and rooms for staff, kitchen, gardeners, guards, diggers, graverobbers, skeleton polishers and all that other needed personel ... maybe he acutally stole.. eh.. I mean, took over from the previous inhabitants as they left the ...life, thus their needs could set the standard.

if the star is a normal pentagram then you're stuck with that shape - but maybe it could just be a magic circle (not a star), that way it would take up less room ... if not, make the mansion star shaped - or at least use the points to house something
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It depends on how big the island is. If it's as big as Oahu then there's no problem, do the map as the mansion and grounds with a small inset map showing the larger island as a whole with a dot showing where the place is located. If the island is small then you need some creative use of props, such as giant rocks. I drew a 5 minute example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lich-island.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	37045  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps