Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Sketch Style World Mapping

Very nice, Thanks!

Glad you like it!

I've to take part in a seminar in Bangkok till end of next week.
    When I'm back home I'll work on an update. Let me know if this tut did it's job or if there is anything which needs to be improved.

Greets,
    -Moe

Very nice Tutorial, I've just run through it and it works really well! I really like the slightly unpredictable results which gives the waves a good hand drawn look. Rep coming and thanks for the tutorial. Just off to see if I can adapt the wave effect for Serif Drawplus.

Yay! Success! Vector wave effect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coastline.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	37158  

Nice! Glad to see the tut working.

Adding those lakes in the landmass' center you could work with different blurs. It'll be interesting to see the technique on such a small area. By now some of the waves vanish underneath the land.

Being at home again I'll try to figure out some easy style to add details like mountains, forests, etc.

Greets,
    -Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Just started work on a map for a wild west rpg I am doing, using this tutorial. I don't have much experience with photoshop and am not sure what brush I am supposed to use in step 3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Sketch Style World Mapping

Hi Domo,

the brush is attached to the original post (three attachements. PDF, sample, brush - the black shape is the brush).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373348986.462736.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	55923

If you want to know how to install brushes, check out http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Photoshop-Brushes or use google to find a how-to which suits you :-)

Hope I could help and I really appreciate that you use my tut ;-)

If you need further help, don't hesitate to ask for it.

We would be glad to see any results you achieve here at the guild!

Cheers,
    Moe

//Sent from mobile device using Tapatalk. Please excuse false spelling and brevity.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Hi Moe, thanks for the advice. I am still a little stuck. I downloaded the brush image and it is a .PNG file. However photoshop does not seem to accept brushes in a .PNG file format. Is there something I am missing?

All the best

Domo230

Got a question, at step 8 it says "add two level adjustment layers". When I click on the button as indicated by the screenshot I get a menu, which option do I need to select?

I'll post my result after I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo230 View Post
    Hi Moe, thanks for the advice. I am still a little stuck. I downloaded the brush image and it is a .PNG file. However photoshop does not seem to accept brushes in a .PNG file format. Is there something I am missing?

All the best

Domo230
    I have PS CS6 Extended but I assume it is the same for most PhotoShop versions. To define the brush image as a new custom brush open the PNG file and go to "Edit" then click on "Define Brush Preset...". Insert a name for the new brush and click "OK". You know can select the brush from the brush menu.
    Last edited by Iggy; 07-21-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Corrected two sentences.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3q1i.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	56266

Here's a pic of the progress I have made so far with my wild west rpg map. I took the tutorial and made some small changes to make it my own.
    Next step is to find out how to shade the map territories and add some smaller details like towns and hills etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    Got a question, at step 8 it says "add two level adjustment layers". When I click on the button as indicated by the screenshot I get a menu, which option do I need to select?
    Hi Iggy,

first of all: thanks for your proxy reply to Domo. I was on a biz trip and not able to help at that point. But in general I advise you to use all-mighty google for any questions on how to use PS as it answers way faster than me sometimes ;-)

To your question:
    As it says in the text: "Add two level adjustment layers" by selecting them in the pop-up you mentioned. In case you use the latest version of PS (which I'm not familiar with) it might be hidden within another menu - if so: try to get some orientation by checking out the screenshots. The thumbnails of the level adjustments are pretty recognizable.

Hope this might help - in case I can't quit break some aids to you within short time grant me some patience ;-)

Cheers
    Moe
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast