Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nameless (Points of Light / D&D 4th Edition)

Wip Nameless (Points of Light / D&D 4th Edition)

Hi folks!

Right now im working on a map-collection for 4th edition D&D, with the concept points of light, wereas no big realms and kingdoms exist, but only villages and towns amidst the enroaching darkness of wilderness.

I will take this here a bit more serious and plan on the following:

* Wirte-Up of a very vague timeline to support my work
    * Write-Up of the races, very vague as long as i have no PHB for 4th Edition
    * Detailed Map of a stretch of land, I plan on beginning my campaign with my players as soon as 4th Ed. is out.
    * More detailed local maps of smaller "baronies", "clan-lands" and such
    * Maps of towns and cities with write-ups
    * Maps of the dungeons we gonna play with write-ups

It will take a while to get things rolling and I dont know how much I can really do, but i gonna try my best!

Greets,
    Chris

Madletter, this is the same as I am doing, see my WIP maps for the Un-named wolrd, as well as my City of Deestan map WIP
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Madletter

You dont have to wait for 4e to use the "points if light" approach. For a d20 game system that uses this world view in a low-magic grungy setting take a look at Iron Heroes. It still has powerful magic but its dangerous and unpredictable (just the way it should be in my humble opinion). The IH Players Handbook is written by Mike Mearls who I understand will take a lead role in design for 4e. See the connections?

As far as campaign worlds are concerned the first real shot at this approach was the Wilderlands of High Fantasy Setting which was originally done by Judges Guild in the days of 1e. It seemed to get swamped by the glossy High Magic worlds of Greyhawk and FR. Recently re-released, its got a massively detailed world, with islands of civilization surrounded by badlands and anarchy. There are a few hokey, high-magic/sci-fi details that you can choose to ignore, but on the whole its great.

What I'm currently playing? Iron Heroes set in the Wilderlands of High Adventure, believe it or not.

I have been hearing "points of light" a great deal recently, as if its something new or unique to 4th Ed. I think the marketing guys at Wizards are doing a fantastic job talking up catch phrases like this, and its their job to do so. I just wanted to add some perspective and offer a few alternatives.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hey Ravs

Yes, the real world kept me lying low for a bit, but I'm back.

Torq

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Madletter

You dont have to wait for 4e to use the "points if light" approach.
    Hi Torq! I know I don't have to wait, but I choose so

For a d20 game system that uses this world view in a low-magic grungy setting take a look at Iron Heroes. It still has powerful magic but its dangerous and unpredictable (just the way it should be in my humble opinion). The IH Players Handbook is written by Mike Mearls who I understand will take a lead role in design for 4e. See the connections?
    I know Iron Heroes, although I never delved into it or played/DM'd it myself. I like the approach they took as far as I saw (I even took some inspiration from the art for one of my random one-shot campaigns)

As far as campaign worlds are concerned the first real shot at this approach was the Wilderlands of High Fantasy Setting which was originally done by Judges Guild in the days of 1e. It seemed to get swamped by the glossy High Magic worlds of Greyhawk and FR. Recently re-released, its got a massively detailed world, with islands of civilization surrounded by badlands and anarchy. There are a few hokey, high-magic/sci-fi details that you can choose to ignore, but on the whole its great.
    Sounds interesting...

What I'm currently playing? Iron Heroes set in the Wilderlands of High Adventure, believe it or not.
    I am a little swamped in problems right now... im having a Shadowrun campaign on the run, as well as a World of Darkness Horror Campaign.

I have been hearing "points of light" a great deal recently, as if its something new or unique to 4th Ed. I think the marketing guys at Wizards are doing a fantastic job talking up catch phrases like this, and its their job to do so. I just wanted to add some perspective and offer a few alternatives.

Torq
    Thanks for the perspective, I am mostly open to it

The deal for me is, that I take my time with the PoL setting (which is not a new idea by wizards, as you said) and flesh it out a little before my players get to sink their adventurer-teeth in it. I also want to use it fully with the new rule-set, which is the main reason I will wait.

I already played one or two PoL-Themed campaigns or short-campaigns and enjoyed them quite a bit. The difference here is, that I want it to be a full-fledged campaign. If possible from Level 1 to 30 in terms of 4th Edition, to which I am really looking forward.

All in all its a self-imposed waiting and preparation process... as it takes a bit of time to work the maps as I want them to be (look at Bannon's Crossing over in the town-forum), I have to have a little time before we start

Thanks for listening to the ramblings

Hey Madletter

It sounds as if you have pretty full gaming calendar as it is. Having had a look at your maps I think your players are going to be in for a treat with your 4e campaign. Just hearing you speak of a campaign running levels 1 to 30 made me envious. I barely play enough to get my characters to level 10.

Dont get me wrong. I'm also looking forward to seeing 4e when its released. I think I'm just a little sensitive about the planned changes to the OGL which will mean Wizards can employ a guy like Mearls (with all his prior experience), advertise a "new" approach that has largely been brought about by 3rd party publishers working under the existing OGL, while at the same time changing the license so that things like Iron Heroes can no longer be made.

Anyway, enough ranting, got a spare seat?

Torq

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Hey Madletter

It sounds as if you have pretty full gaming calendar as it is.
    *frantical nodding*

I play if possible every weekend and at that between two to six different RPGs.. all with the same folks, tho... aint got many good players here and my pals always said im a RPG-fascist (regarding to the standarts i demand).

Things we play right now: Shadowrun, World of Darkness (horror)

Things we played: Shadowrun, Exalted, D&D, a D&D setting that deviated highly from standart and had its own rules

Thing I want to play: Vampire, Mage, Hero, Earthdawn, Changeling, DeGenesis, More Exalted, D&D 4th

Problem is time :-/

Having had a look at your maps I think your players are going to be in for a treat with your 4e campaign.
    Thanks! I only made my first steps in coloring and drawing maps is quite burdensome regarding my little time But it`s a thing i do with pleasure since the earliest RPG days (which now lie more than one decade back)... I hope I can make maps like Bannons Crossing on regular basis!

Just hearing you speak of a campaign running levels 1 to 30 made me envious. I barely play enough to get my characters to level 10.
    It's my hope and dream! I wish to do it, although I don't know if we can pull it off, as our group is crumbling at its base...

Dont get me wrong. I'm also looking forward to seeing 4e when its released. I think I'm just a little sensitive about the planned changes to the OGL which will mean Wizards can employ a guy like Mearls (with all his prior experience), advertise a "new" approach that has largely been brought about by 3rd party publishers working under the existing OGL, while at the same time changing the license so that things like Iron Heroes can no longer be made.
    Yes, the changes to the OGL are not so good... 3/3.5 was made so great by all 3rd parties and other developers... but hey.. this is the way it works now, folks need to adjust :-/

Anyway, enough ranting, got a spare seat?

Torq

If you live close to me, come over and play with us. I desperately seek good players!

* * * Update * * *

Here I go, I present to you two regional maps and a town-map in the making.
    The map I will use as the basis for play will be the uncoloured one, on which you can see Bannon's Crossing (a small thorp I finisehd and can be viewed in the appropirate board).

The town in progress shown will be to the north of Bannon`s Crossing and part of some kind of barony, Bannon`s Crossing also belongs to.

More info will follow as the maps progress.

I would like input about the regional map's composition and ideas to make it better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4th map_2.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	2572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old 4th map_2.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	2573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	town.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	2574  

Wip

*** Next Update is there ***

I've finished the towns drawing and am now about to colour it. Already began a little, have a look!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	working.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	632.5 KB 
ID:	2669  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast