Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Pics

I like to see creative takes on creative works. I would be very disappointed if the dwarves were all rotund with shaggy beards, axes, and Scottish accents.

I love epic fantasy stories. The Hobbit isn't a story I know much about, but the film is written and directed by talented people. I would like to add another great fantasy film to my movie collection. I am picky, but I have faith.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

whoa! You never read the Hobbit? How can you live? I think you might have to hit a library or something and read that. It's like the primer for fantasy.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I never did either. Guess that makes us the oddballs.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

*shakes head in sorrow*

A fantasy cartographer that hasn't read The Hobbit? That's like... an English teacher that's illiterate.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep ... the hobbit was mine (as many others) introduction to fantasy - started playing D&D shortly after - thanks Peter (dad to my friends as I grew up) for introducing that to your kids and me

and by the way - after having the picture of the dwarves in my head for some days now, I'm getting rather satisfied with it - I like the diversity - it just had to sink in *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I also never read Lord of the Rings. I think I am a strange person because I started writing high fantasy stories (and making maps) in the fourth grade before I had ever read one (or seen a fantasy map). Rather than starting on classics, I started on essentially nothing but general themes from fairy tales and fiction, and then added fantasy novels as a source of influence over time.

Though I've yet to produce something more than seven pages long... I am overcritical of my own work, and until this year I haven't been able to continue working on something after I decided it "sucked".
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that lord of the rings are great books, however fantasy has also evolved with the world and they are rather old by now. I love the movies and looking forward to watch the hobbit x 2 ... but I'm also glad to hear that Wheel of Time might get a shot, to hear that Mistborn is getting to the big screen and I enjoyed Game of Thrones very much.
    These days I like the gritty fantasy but still enjoy the epic, black and white hat story now and then

@ls-jebus: one is often ones own worst critic (and if you're not, you might end up on SomeCountrysGotTalent having millions laugh at you) but its also important not to "dizz" your own work, cause if you don't believe in it - noone else will - so chin up and write that page number 8
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My introduction to fantasy came before birth, my birth name was Valiant Prince Nailer as my mother was a big fan of the Prince Valiant comics in the newspaper. When I was adopted at 2 my name got changed but maybe that time sort of influenced me into the whole "knights in shining armor" thing but I don't really remember too much about that time except for the place I lived and flying on a plane with my grandparents. I never got into fantasy real deep until 14 and I saw the D&D books at the local hobby store where I was, at the time, into the RC car craze and tricking out my bike and skateboard to do those tricks like you see at X-games - mind you this was 1984 so wayyy before X-games. A few years later a friend gave me The Belgariad to read and that was first thing I ever read outside of D&D. I then got the "Time of the Twins" Dragonlance sequel, and some Thieves World stuff and the Willow sequels but never read any of the original stuff other than Belgarion, Sparhawk, and later Rhapsody. The Terry Brooks stuff I got seemed very crappy (couldn't follow the geography as the time travels seemed wrong) and once the Rings movies came out it seemed like a direct rip-off of Frodo. So, anyway...maybe I was just born into it. Shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I was intro'ed to fantasy via D&D from a friend but read Dragonlance first and thought (and still think) that its a great set of books. So the DL Chronicles first and Twins set after. Thats why I am Redrobes... anyway Belgariad was good stuff after then Malorian (clone of Belgariad tho right to the last page...). I read the first 100 pages of LotR about 4 times then The Hobbit then later on all of LotR before the films. Since then I have battled with The Hobbit again in french because I thought it would be interesting enough for me to stick with it instead of french text book crap which is so dull I switch off. I'm planning on reading the hobbit again in english once more before the films come out just so I have the official story in my head. Just finished Consider Phlebas by Ian M Banks sci fi which is an author I very much enjoy. Does he do any fantasy cos I'd probably pick some up if he did. So I ought to add that whilst I am in to tolkien, I am not into it like monks is on these boards. I haven't read the Silmaril yet for example.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast