Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software wishes

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question Software wishes

Hello,

Love this forum, I've been visiting it every few days for the last half year or so.
    I'm not much of an artist but I'm a pretty decent software engineer.

So I was wondering, is there any mapping software (in the widest sense possible) that doesn't exist yet, or that exists in a really crappy or really overpriced form?

I've got some ideas in my head but since I'm not an awesome map maker like many guys here, I don't really know the market well.

Any ideas for what needs building?

Greets!
    Wouter

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmmm... I think its hard to come up with something completely new - but that doesn't mean that one cant do existing things better ... a thing my GM asked for this tuesday was an android app to keep track of initiative an hitpoints in D&D (he has an asus eee tablet) - maybe apps would be the way to go?

I'd like a plugin for photoshop that could simulate the pibebrush-function from GIMP - I hate that photoshop don't do colored brushes cause then I can't take for instance a mountain and brush a range with it, cause the greys are semitransparent.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Okay, here's an idea of mine:

A grid-based tool where you can draw your rooms, select floor materials, and then it generates an image of the floormap with procedural textures. Meaning, every floor tile is different.

For instance:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	37136

Blog Entries

sounds nice, always good to avoid tiling (except on tiles ) - just be sure to add curves and of course the option of adding elements (chairs, stairs and crosshairs... ok.. maybe not the last one)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

I've seen some of your room maps. They always seem to align perfectly to the grid. Is that the rule or is it the exception?

If you want a real challenge, how about a program that makes procedural cities?

Check out 'City Engine' for the expensive version. There is also the RPG City Generator (free), but work on it appears to have been abandoned. Something like RPG City Generator which does vector exports would be fantastic.

Blog Entries

I align them to the grid for ease of use - the tiles I supply in my signature should be easy to cut out and put together ... In the real world, things don't nescesarily fit to a 5 foot grid, but in Dungeons and Dragons we pretend the world is like that - its so much easier

oh... and Ravells has a very good point - something that makes random (or not so random) cities in vector would be very cool indeed.
    regs tilt

Quote Originally Posted by wlievens View Post
    Okay, here's an idea of mine:

A grid-based tool where you can draw your rooms, select floor materials, and then it generates an image of the floormap with procedural textures. Meaning, every floor tile is different.

For instance:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	37136
    Look at by gimp dungeon prettier scrip. I does this by default.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

I'm still fairly new to creative mapping myself, but I think a creative mapping program that lets you work on a sphere would be good. No worrying about projection distortion when designing features!

EDIT: Ninja'd!
    I am a geology nerd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast