Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unnamed Commission

I recommend the 64-bit Wilbur version for anything much over 4k square.

Quote Originally Posted by cantab View Post
    The rivers do look a bit strange, but otherwise it's excellent.

Can you not just clip the surrounding sea out when working in Wilbur, allowing more space for land terrain?
    Hm, would you mind elaborating about the rivers? As far as taking out the sea, you know I hadn't thought of that! Perhaps that might offer a partial solution. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandor View Post
    hahah you've ran into the issue I had with Wilbur. It has issues with larger files, I don't want to say memory leaks but it does take a ton of memory to run wilbur even for smallish images. Thats why I had to do my mountain ranges in chunks for my work here. But still looks great! keep it up!
    Well glad to know I'm not alone here. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I recommend the 64-bit Wilbur version for anything much over 4k square.
    You know I did try downloading the 64-bit version first, but for some reason it didn't work on my system.

Thanks everyone for the comments. The client has just let me know that he prefers the larger mountains I did on the mock up, so I will be redoing this map shortly.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

I'm not entirely sure what's 'wrong' with the rivers. (If anything - the appearance may be realistic, and look odd because it's an unfamiliar style). But I think it's that they've rather uniformly and deeply incised into what I'd take as lowland.
    I am a geology nerd.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only problem I see with the rivers is my main peeve with Wilbur...in the low land the rivers get really straight instead of the big meanders and oxbows you would normally see. Other than that I'd say it looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only problem I see with the rivers is my main peeve with Wilbur...in the low land the rivers get really straight instead of the big meanders and oxbows you would normally see.
    Straight rivers in Wilbur are usually because there isn't enough noise to make the rivers wander. The attachments show an exponential ramp going from left to right (very approximately the profile from sea to mountains) with varying amounts of noise:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa1.0000.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	37321
    approximately 2% noise

Name:	ab0.0100.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	37322
    approximately 0.02% noise

Name:	ac0.0001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	37323
    approximately 0.0002% noise (effectively no noise)

More noise results in wigglier rivers, up to a point. The last image shows what happens when the fill step is greater than the amount of noise: there are just a few straight flow channels. If you have a basin in Wilbur and fill basins then the basin will be flat and your rivers across the basin will look like that last image (straight and uninteresting). It's usually a good idea to add noise, fill basins, add a little more noise and fill basins again to get rid of large flat areas.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I must be working in that threshold area where every time I fill it comes out too flat. Maybe I just need more grays in the original.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Default Big Map Take 2

Seems to me to be a trade off: on the one hand, one wants the more squiggly rivers in the flat terrain, which requires using a decent amount of Noise. However, in my opinion, too much Noise causes the image to look grainy and over-textured, so if, as in my case, one want's to preserve a smoother map, then less noise is preferred.

Anyway here's a new version of the map. The client informed me that he preferred larger more snow covered mountains so I ended up redoing much of the map. Also, big thanks to Cantab, your suggestion totally worked man! I was able to crop the image to just the land, run it through Wilbur, and then resize the Canvas to add the sea back in again, thus allowing me to preserve the desired 50x70cm map size.

Edit: Oops, looks like I forgot to make the shallow water outline visible. Oh well, it'll show up in future updates.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed Comission WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	37327  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 07-25-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Seems to me to be a trade off: on the one hand, one wants the more squiggly rivers in the flat terrain, which requires using a decent amount of Noise. However, in my opinion, too much Noise causes the image to look grainy and over-textured, so if, as in my case, one want's to preserve a smoother map, then less noise is preferred.
    One solution (which takes a lot more effort though) is to use the lasso tool on your flat areas, (or I think wilbur has a tool to select all flat areas) feather the selection and add your noise exclusively to those areas, then run your rivers through. If those are too grainy afterwards, some light, selective blurring or smudging should help fix you up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12