Thread: First Map Work In Progress

Wip First Map Work In Progress

Just working on my first map, it's a world I will be using for a game I will make eventually though just in idea and planning stages so I felt a world map to look at will help me visualize the rest of the game.

With that said, any tip and changes I am happy to hear, I haven't done lakes or rivers yet, just getting the land overall going though the mountains feel kinda off maybe it's just me being new but any tips you can give as I go will be much appreciated but here is the first day shot. Using some mountains brushes i found for use on here, though I hope to make my own to replace them soon.

No names yet that will come later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_002.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	37188

I do plan to have political borders, forest, swamps, deserts, towns, villages and more in this map when done.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

First impression - I like the palette and the watercoloury look at the thumbnail size. The only critical thought I can think of this early in the game is the same thing i always fall prey to - the overall grouping may look to square-ish, which sometimes makes it looks less natural. Harder to see when looking up close, but if you step back from the monitor, you see it. (don't take that as a "wrong" thing, like i said, it's something I've had many a fight with )

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You may have a few river-issues with your Eastern Bay on the Main Island appearing to have rivers leading straight into mountains. You might want to move the mountains to one side of the river-inlets to the bay... either side will do.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

ok thanks for comments and tips hopefully update soon

I'm not an expert, but all your mountain ranges join at 90-degree angles. They tend to (I believe) more run in parallel or at much smaller angles.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main things I see right now are the squarishness, pull some of those lands away from the edges, and the mountains form a fence that runs ocean to ocean. Try to think of mountains like an old collapsing ruined wall instead of a fence that separates countries or climates from one another. Colors are good, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanks everyone, going to take those tips and work on some changes greatly appreciated