Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Lamnia and Dwuarrowdelf

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip [WIP] Lamnia and Dwuarrowdelf

Hello!!
    As part of my nuew D&D Campaign, I've created a World Map, which I already posted on my Member Introduction (Here)

Now I am going into detail, particurally on the continents of Lamnia and Dwuarrowdelf, but I want to do it in a defined style, similar to this.

Well, here it is, as it is in this moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	833.1 KB 
ID:	37193

I have several questions, specially on the regard of the paper's texture... how in earth can I get that texture?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	978.8 KB 
ID:	37192  
    Last edited by solis_tahoe; 07-18-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The easiest way is to overlay a paper texture, or use your map as an overlay of a paper layer.. um, maybe i'm not explaining it right.

method 1 - put a paper layer over your whole map, with a partial transparency or layer blend mode, and fiddle with the settings.

Method 2 (my preferred) - put a parchment layer underneath the whole shebang, and group all the layers above it - then set the layer blend mode to multiply for the group (for a b+w/grayscale, this is awesome).

Assumes you use photoshop or gimp, though there are ways to do that in Illustrator (and I assume inkscape etc).

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

Thanks man, yes, I am using Photoshop. I was trying to replicate the texture myself....
    And your quote is making me having second thoughts....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

His quote is the official mantra for many of us. Many of us spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to replicate the hand-drawn look with filters, pre-made brushes, blurs, and such (because we're not good at drawing or just lazy) but it always looks fake. It takes some practice but once it clicks for you, then it's like riding a bike.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Personally, I like the minimalism that there is at the moment. I wonder if at least the smaller "holes" in the ocean should be filled in with the horizontal-lined effect. The main inlet I suggest trying both ways and seeing which looks best.
    I am a geology nerd.

Guild Novice

New version!

Name:	old2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	37215

Guild Journeyer

You have an awful lot of splitting rivers and multiple-outlet lakes.
    I am a geology nerd.

Guild Novice

I don't want to sound like a fool, but I guess I never thought about it.... And you are absolutely right.

Blog Entries

You might want to tone down the texture a bit; if it were really that rough it would visibly distort the image. Together it makes the image look as if it were sort of floating above the paper. A complex map, especially one where someone has gone to the trouble of colouring it, would probably be done on a fairly high quality substrate, good paper, vellum (High quality parchment), a fairly fine fabric, etc.

You might also want to give the blue of the water the same blurry, not perfectly in the lines treatment as the on land colouring, a bit of unevenness in its application might also bee a good idea. Try to think about how someone who was doing this with physical media would be doing it and what effects that would have on the image.

Guild Novice

Next version, texture, rivers and lakes fixed, and something different with the water...

Name:	old3.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	37217
    I need to put some dwarven, elf and human cities.... any suggestion on the symbols to use? pls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast