Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Map - Looking for Suggestions & Critiques

Given the "Green Sea", to help keep land and sea distinct in black and white, you might try one font for the bodies of water and a different font for the land labels.

Given the size, you could also use a "symbol" and just space randomly around the "green sea"... Something like a few "tufts" of hay in a clump every few centimeters might work... Alternately, some type of hatching pattern might work(not quite sure exactly what off the top of my head...)...

Or making a "fill" pattern of "grass"... if you go that latter route, what I would suggest is (assuming Inkscape can do this) is put in LARGE letters your label slightly curved with line breaks between the three words AND have the area under (and immediately surrounding the font "kerning" clear of the pattern...

or just do what Ascension said and use a label to indicate "no man's land".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So I've put some work toward this since the original post. I've changed some stuff around, added some forest and mountains. Another addition is the shading along the coastlines. Finally, I tried a fill for the "Green Sea" (Sea of Grass). I don't really know if I like it. I feel like the scale is so different from the rest of the features of the map that it just doesn't work.

Finally, some questions: one thing I was considering was changing the font set universally to what I have used in the bottom right hand corner. I feel like it's a more legible font. Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where various ores, minerals, and other important resources might naturally occur on my map. I simply don't know anything about where iron or gold or things like that occur naturally.

Attached is the latest version.

Thanks again guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlankMap2-Names-2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	37283

Guild Journeyer

I'm afraid mining geology was one big omission in my studies, so I can't really help you there. There are a few I can say something about, though I don't know how much you'd use them. Coal is I think generally found away from both mountains and coasts, in areas that are at a moderate altitude, a bit hilly but not heavily mountainous. Oil and natural gas can be most anywhere away from major mountains. None of these are going to be everywhere - if you're using them, pick some areas to be the fields. Marble and slate are more likely to be found in mountainous areas.
    I am a geology nerd.

The green sea looks good in the thumbnail and and a normal screen size.. but once you zoom in... your right... it just kind of looks odd.... the grass is 2 times taller than your tallest mountain... depending on your final end goal with them map, this might be fine(B&W for screen)... but if you throw color in there or print it... it may just end up looking odd IMHO. For that matter, the trees are kind of large vs the mountains.. but Shop thats not a big a deal to me if you just keep B&W... In any event...I think you really got the concept down right as it looks good... just need to determine if this or a smaller style texture wouldwork better....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12