Thread: The City of Leern

Guild Novice

Default The City of Leern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheCityofLeernReduced.png 
Views:	369 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	37282

Let me begin by thanking anyone whom looks at the map and bothers to read what I have to say,

Background: Leern is the capital city for a specific kingdom known as the Barony. Located on the River Thine, Leern is the hub of trade for the entire kingdom. With roughly 50,000 people within its limits, Leern's landmarks (such as the St. Patrick's Cathedral and King's Castle) have made Leern an extremely desirable locale for peoples of the known world.

Technical Details: Leern was created using both Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. I have a two part process that allows me to create the bulk of the details before taking it into Photoshop for the placement of textures and the like.

Leern took me the better part of two weeks, so perhaps 112 hours of work.

About the Map: The map is made with Autumn colors in mind so you will notice the heavily forested areas as an area of different colors. The ground itself is more darker in color. at various areas. Also, there are five areas of different elevation, which are indulged by having a highlighted slope (light is coming from the upper right of the map).

I used shadows to show height, so you will notice the cathedral, the castle and the inner walls are quite the imposing structures. The bridge is quite large but I decided against placing the shadow down upon the water.

I hope you like it!
    Please link back to me if used

This is beautiful.... Im speechless..

But, the water traffic seems polluted though.
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 07-22-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Could you tell us your process?

Guild Journeyer

A distinctive style certainly, and it works very well I think. What are all the small various-coloured objects though?
    I am a geology nerd.

Tree's I believe.

Really nice you job. The buildings were done by you?

I like the detail, specially the ships on the river. But I think the trees are better green (assuming that the colored objects are trees), my opinion though.

Guild Novice

Thanks everyone for your comments. I wanted there to be a ton of water traffic so your comment reassures me.

And yes, the colored objects are trees. I had stated "The map is made with Autumn colors in mind so you will notice the heavily forested areas as an area of different colors.' Since I am going for autumn, I am not going to use any greens, at least no greens that are not on an autumn palette.

@Beoner: as I had mentioned, my goal was an autumn snapshot of the city and I feel my color palette works best. What greens I do have are the dull pale green associated with the season. The tree's are vibrant with color and catch the eye, which is true during the Fall. It is my favorite month and I am very happy with how it looks.

Process: I begin with manufacturing all of the buildings in Illustrator. District by district. Landmarks are created during the cities construction, flora and fauna are next, including the farmland and any forested areas.

Once the city is constructed in Illustrator, and everything that looks well in vector is created, I import all of the layers into photoshop where I texture and color where appropriate.
    Please link back to me if used

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty nice, man. I really like the buildings and street layout.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyruss View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I wanted there to be a ton of water traffic so your comment reassures me.

And yes, the colored objects are trees. I had stated "The map is made with Autumn colors in mind so you will notice the heavily forested areas as an area of different colors.' Since I am going for autumn, I am not going to use any greens, at least no greens that are not on an autumn palette.

@Beoner: as I had mentioned, my goal was an autumn snapshot of the city and I feel my color palette works best. What greens I do have are the dull pale green associated with the season. The tree's are vibrant with color and catch the eye, which is true during the Fall. It is my favorite month and I am very happy with how it looks.

Process: I begin with manufacturing all of the buildings in Illustrator. District by district. Landmarks are created during the cities construction, flora and fauna are next, including the farmland and any forested areas.

Once the city is constructed in Illustrator, and everything that looks well in vector is created, I import all of the layers into photoshop where I texture and color where appropriate.
    That's a ton of work. Excellent map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast