Thread: Commission - Star Maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Commission - Star Maps

This was a very entertaining and interesting commission. Two astronomical maps of the sky of Middleearth.

Info about the map:
    These drawings were made by a young Vanya Elf as part of her study of starlore upon the slopes of Taniquetil in Aman. As such, it uses the Vanyarin dialect of Quenya, which diverged somewhat from the more familiar Ñoldorin dialect of the Exiles (as seen in the use of 'hw' instead of 'f' in Hwanyamar and 'w' for v' in Waiya). Vanyarin, being more conservative in form, also retained the letter þ in place of S in some cases.
    Much of the starlore of the Elves of Aman was based on direct information from the Valar, allowing the knowledge and depiction of objects not visible to the naked eye (such as Neptune and the asteroids and so-called dwarf planets).
    The maps, by a long road, found their way from Aman to the court of King Elessar Telcontar early in the Fourth Age. They had previously been in the keeping of an ancient and noble family of Pelargir, who themselves had brought them from Númenor long before the Downfall. At some point, Elvish visitors to Númenor had given the original works (long gone and replaced, and replaced again) to a sea-captain of great renown and daring, and also an Elf-friend. His descendents removed, as did many of the Faithful, to Pelargir when the Kings of Númenor began to fall, and kept the paintings as a sign of ancient friendship. When Elessar took up the throne, new copies were made by the finest artists of Minas Tirith and given to the new king as a gift. They long hung in a place of honor in the northern palace at Annúminas.

Done in Illustrator and PS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imbar tengwar dirty.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	37292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imbar dirty.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	37293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Map Tengwar Dirty.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	37294   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Map Dirty.png 
Views:	1025 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	37295  

Whoa, that's cool looking stuff Sap.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I dig those constellation maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Pretty snazzy alright!

cheers,
    -Arsheesh