Thread: Map of Western Parthia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Map of Western Parthia

Okay, here is my second map of the western part of Parthia. I am rather pleased overall how this one came out. I used GIMP to create it. The trees, mountains, towns, swamp, and other "objects" are NOT my creation, but I don't remember where I got them from.

The map compass is my creation (simple, but it works).

Please, tell me what you like and don't like about the map. I'm still a novice and would gladly accept constructive criticism. I know parts of the north east are bare, but frankly, I haven't developed anything up there for my campaign yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parthia14_Western.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	37268

I like the shape overall.... One thing I don't like about this is the how busy it is... this is especially the case with the middle range of mountains.... secondly, the tree icons are the same size as the mountains.
    On a side note... I am not a big fan of most mountain brushes because of the "hard" edge at the bottom... that can be fixed with a lot of work using the smudge tool and a few other techniques.. but if your spending that much time... why not just make the mountains from scratch anyway?.... but I digress.....personally, I would find/make larger mountain symbols and have...umm perhaps 10%-20% of the total number you have currently spaced out a bit more...

...take a look around in the mapping elements forum if you want to swap out some of the icons... there are plenty to choose from....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well done with the rivers.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/