Thread: Islandia?

Default Islandia?

Has anyone attempted to recreate a map of Islandia?
    The ones by Johnny Pez on Wikipedia are somewhat lacking in detail.

Last century, Austin Tappan Wright wrote about the history and culture of an imaginary subcontinent. The book Islandia was edited by his wife and published in 1942, after his death. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islandia_%28novel%29

All of the editions of the book that I've seen contain a map that's mostly illegible, apparently due to the limitations of the reproduction process available to them a half-century ago. The copy in Post's An Atlas of Fantasy is no better.
    Selden

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Sounds like an intersting novel.

Hi Seldon, are you actually requesting someone to make a map of Islandia? If so, please read the sticky at the top of the forum and supply the information suggested. If not, I will move this post to the general discussion forum.

ravells,

I'm not sure.

If someone already had worked on one, or was willing to jump on the opportunity, I'd be glad to take advantage of that initiative.

Otherwise, I've been thinking about how I might do it myself, but keep getting frustrated by the lousy quality of the available images and my own lack of initiative -- partly due to my lack of experience in creating such a map.

I have no objection to you moving the topic if you want.

I've managed to locate a couple of readable maps of Islandia. One is in The Dictionary of Imaginary Places by Alberto Manguel, map by James Cook, and another is in The Two Kingdoms by Mark Saxton. I'm not sure who drew that map. Now I have to decide if I really want to create a 3D version or other variants....
    Last edited by selden; 08-03-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Selden