Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The uses of Adobe Illustrator?

Default The uses of Adobe Illustrator?

I was thinking of maybe saving up for it after I get my tablet.. But, I wanna know what exactly can it do? And what things its better at then Photoshop.

Basically, where Photoshop is primarily a raster based program (with the exception of the pen tool) Illustrator is a vector based program. This means every shape you make is composed of mathematical algorithms that determine its outline using curves. What this means is that the artwork is scaleable - it doesent ever lose resolution no matter how large or small you make it. It also means that individual elements, or shapes, are saved seperately so that you can always go back and manipulate them.

Illustrator is generally used to do more graphic work, such as making slick advertisement designs and web graphics. However it is very adaptable to need and can be used in conjunction with photoshop. If you wanted to, you could probably use it to design elements for your maps (symbols, compass roses, etc) and them import them to your maps on photoshop. Before I lost my harddrive last week () I was working on my first all-Illustrator map. Its good if you want a really sleek map for conveying information, or you want flat visual effects.

What Illustrator doesent do as well as photoshop is image manipulation. PS has much more in the way of tools for working with preexisting images, and the paintbrush tools tend to feel more organic as well. It is by far the more painterly program. But, like I said, you can import files from one to the other so they compliment each other nicely.
    Last edited by vman3force; 07-23-2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

I suggest you download Inkscape and give that a try. It's not as robust as Illustrator, but the essential tools pretty much work the same.

My Wheel of Time map was created entirely in Illustrator, and HandsomeRob's atlas-style maps are primarily Illustrator, with a Fractal Terrains base. Ravells' Stormlit Cloister is Inkscape.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I plan to be a graphic designer when im older (Im only 14 and haven't taken any photoshop courses yet.) So this might be worth investing in if I want to create sleek design's and all that junk.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adobe programs are a bit expensive - I don't know where you live, but they are half price in the US in respect to what I pay in Denmark - so that would be the place to live. Try out GIMP and Inkscape first - they are both free.

Very short Photoshop is for handling images and painting - Illustrator is for drawing/Illustrating ... however over the years they have gotten nearer to one another, and you can of course import files back and forth. Especially in the newer photoshops you can add Illustrator items as smart objects so they don't pixelate when you scale them up (or down and back up).
    Try visiting Adobes homepage and take a look at their product descriptions and check out the videos of the programs - you'll get a lot from those - also check out YouTube for beginners tutorials - they will also show you what the programs can do.

good luck
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

As others have suggested, I would HIGHLY encourage you to stick with free software/low cost software for now and save your money for a car, or heck even investing it for possible future software needs when you get out of school... Things change for many people during the course of their high school life and you may end up not wanting (or not being able to) afford a living as a graphics designer.. With that said.... since that's the direction you want to go for now, buying a tablet as soon as you can afford one will help FAR more than any software will IMHO. Especially since almost all graphics/illestrative design will be able to support tablets...

Now... once big thing to think about is if you end up going to college or toward the end of high school, Adobe offers HUGE discounts for students and that would be the time to spend the money if you decide to keep going that direction.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This advice is all really good. I got my software first through my mom for free (she works in IT at a college and gets free software) and then through my school at a large discount. Full retail, Illustrator is quite pricey and I'd never be able to afford it myself.
    Who is John Galt?

Ill keep this and mind. I should be getting my Wacom Bamboo pen Tablet by working for my girlfriend's parent's (they aren't rich but are those people who don't have to worry about bills or money.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast