Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Underground Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    to give the floor/wall edge some more "depth", what I do is put a layer between the two. Then select the shape outline, stroke with a largish brush, select none and then blur... this makes the wall appear to have shadows near the bottom and gives depth.
    Yeah, doing the same exact thing.. I think I am on the fence between not doing enough and doing to much of it, if you know what I mean. As I look at the map think I need to take a shot at using the brown and black fade I used on the river bank also to give some elevation to some other areas as well.

After I mow the yard going to work on another 8x8 so I can practice on the river stuff more, think I will work a larger chamber into it and test this out.

Thanks

Rivers are getting better I think, just not sure how much better. Some good practice with using warp to run the current also used a bit blur and smudge to enhance the direction of the current I hope. I do want to do a few more river 8x8's before moving on to tackling other aspects, just for practice and work on the style a bit more.

I decided to work on adding a cliff face to see how that comes along and fairly happy with the results.

Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 3 WIP1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	37620

That has a slightly off perspective... not ISO but not top down either... if that's what you meant, ok.. if not, I would suggest just going with a hard edge on one side and a blurred shadow on the other... let me know if you want an example...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    That has a slightly off perspective... not ISO but not top down either... if that's what you meant, ok.. if not, I would suggest just going with a hard edge on one side and a blurred shadow on the other... let me know if you want an example...
    An example would be perfect, can use the base image if you want or just toss some quick example together that would be great (which ever is easier for you). Thanks

here is a quick crop of how I usually do it. In this case, I just make a path.. stroked one side 2px other 12 px.. the 2px side I Gblured 2px and the 12px side I GBlured about 15 px I think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	37622  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the speedy example, doubt I will get time to try it this evening (Yankees vs Boston game) but going to see what I can do with this first thing in the morning.

When I started looking at it wasn't to sure if I was going to really like but after doing it and playing with a few settings I think the results are much better then what I was doing originally. Thanks for the pointers and example with this. This will also allow me to do some things on maps that I had yet figured out "how" I was going to accomplish them.

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 3 WIP2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	37625

You should also consider doing the same on the walls(or add a bevel) to give the wall/floor separation/depth. You can see some examples using BOTH effects here and here.

BTW, I also used the dodge/burn tool to give those even more depth. dodge helps darken up the darks and makes for a deep "looking" drop off. While lightening up the "top" of an elevation chance a bit gives just a bit of contrast that really sells the offset between light/dark, high/low.

Oh... and good job there, you have the idea well in hand... I would probably go a darker closer in to the "ledge"(pretty much pure black and with perhaps a slightly larger fade area), especially with the large elevation change you are trying to depict.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

I've been doing the sides of the walls thus far by hand and currently like it so far, while I agree it is more work it allows me to favor areas and go lighter on some others. I did also wonder/consider expanding the shade and darkening to add some depth. I do like the over all look and feel, especially after stepping back for a bit and then looking at the map. Started a new one after that and going to add a few different points of elevation changes to allow me to work on what you mentioned. So we will see

Started playing with the new style of how to illustrate a ledge on the map, from my stand point it does seem a lot easier to depict on the map what it is and such.

Name:	Underdark Map (8x8) Area 4 WIP1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	37633

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast