Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lurk Field: Disengaged

Post Lurk Field: Disengaged

Hello, community! My name is Scionical, and I am a map-o-holic.

I've been haunting this site for a while now, constantly amazed at the brilliance and creativity I've seen here. I started drawing maps when I should have been doing school work, though not for table-top games - usually for fantasy stories I was writing. When I did get into the old Red Box D&D, I already had my own way of doing maps and never really got into the hex-grid way of doing things. Odd fact: years later, I was going to Full Sail University in Orlando, where Dave Arneson happened to be a teacher. I got to have lunch with him a few years before he passed, and he asked if there was one thing I could change about D&D, what would it be? I told him that I hated the map annotations - we both got a good laugh out of that.

I still hand draw all my maps, and I've never been very good at using computer art programs, but I am dedicated to this. I am launching into a new series, and I want the map to look good (I can only hope it looks half as good as some of the maps I've seen here). I am looking forward to a lot of mistakes and frustration, and hating the developers of GIMP, but I am going to stick with it.

Also, I like autumn, long walks on the beach, and giant robots with big guns that turn into vehicles (the exception are the mockeries Michael Bay paraded before the world). I have a wonderful wife, four amazing kids, and one insanely horny cat. I am a transplanted Alabama native that's lived about everywhere in the States, now residing in Newfoundland. Also, I prefer ninjas over pirates and cake totally kicks pie's butt. I read and write constantly, and I am constantly on the lookout for new authors.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Glad you disengaged the lurk field! Looking forward to seeing you get stuck in!
    That won't be a problem. I draw random maps just for fun. I don't know if that's one of the signs of schizophrenia, but it certainly should count for something.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome aboard Scionical, there is a learning curb to GIMP, but I think you'll find after some playing around that it is an amazingly powerful tool. Feel free to post up any WIPs (works-in-progress) and ask questions with impunity. There is a wealth of experience here at the Guild and so long as you ask nicely, most people here are happy to share tips and critiques, as well as to answer questions that you may have.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Once I dig through some more tutorials, I will absolutely be posting at least one WIP. I am somewhat familiar with GIMP from my old blog, so I am not completely lost - but this is going way deeper into it than I ever have before. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild. Seems to have seen your avatar on the cover of "Heavy Metal" some decades ago?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@Tilt - That looks like a shot from the movie.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ah yes.. the movie.. forgot about that... although now a certain scene with a nose and a looong line of powder springs to mind
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Exactly... "Great Nyborg!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast