Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first world map

Guild Apprentice Blindkingofbohemia's Avatar

Default My first world map

So this is my first attempt at a world map... after a whole lot of tweaking and reading and rereading tutorials. Any criticism would be hugely appreciated

And a massive thank you to Ascension and RobA for the tutorials

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	1052 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	37330

Guild Journeyer

This is pretty darn good.
    I am a geology nerd.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, that does look good. Love the colors and patterning.

Yep, that's good. =) I don't have much experience with mapping rules, etc, but you might have trouble putting this on a globe if you ever decided to. Something to do with distortion at the poles? I'm pretty new to this stuff - probably not very helpful. Anyway, I love the colors and shapes!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The Projection Police are as big of sticklers as the River Police but from a "map as art' perspective this is pretty good. You might want to lighten up on the texture on the ocean but otherwise - good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

If you treat your map as a Mercator projection, possibly squashed, then your shapes are preserved on the globe. Your northern continent will actually be very small though (it'll be small WHATEVER projection the original map is), as will to some extent your southernmost landmasses.
    I am a geology nerd.

Guild Apprentice Blindkingofbohemia's Avatar

Put it... on a globe? Is there a program I could use to do that? =O

Guild Journeyer

Well I was thinking conceptually. But if you mean a picture of a globe, a "view from space" as it were, I think GIMP can map an object onto a sphere. It may not get the results you want however, unless you first distort your map suitably.

A physical globe is obviously trickier. But it is possible to put a map onto a net of a dodecahedron or icosahedron, which you can then make into an approximate globe. This site: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/fliers/04mgg02.html has an example for the real world.

I don't know if there are any programs that will make it easy to do though. Gdalwarp will reproject your map, but it takes some learning to use.
    I am a geology nerd.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You can stick it in google earth if you want. There is a link (to a post by RobA) on my bio page somewhere in the comments section.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Personally, I like to use Celestia to display global maps. For one thing, it's easy to add other features to the image without a lot of work. (And for other reasons, of course What, me biased? )

It does require the surface map to be in what's known as "simple cylindrical" or "Plate Carré"

Blindkingofbohemia,
    Here's your map wrapped around a sphere. Atmosphere and clouds are added by Celestia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bkob.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	37351
    Selden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast