Thread: Erythea (4E PoL setting)

Guild Novice

Wip Erythea (4E PoL setting)

Hi Everyone,

I might as well leap aboard the 4E mapping bandwagon. This is my first map posting, and I'd like to share the D&D 4E campaign world on which I'm working.

I wanted to keep the world fantastic, yet still familiar. I also wanted to start the players out in a region of islands with a strong medieval English/Irish/Scottish flavor. Thus was born the Emerald Isles. I plan to keep true to the 4E Points of Light theme. The lands will be unified only in name, with many self-styled "kings" ruling over small stretches of land.

So far I've got the world map, a regional map of the Isles, and a map of one of the island nations (Emerlene - which is sort of based on medieval England). I've also included the FT world map.

I'm purposefully trying not to get into too much detail at this stage of the project. That will come later, with smaller regional maps.

Comments appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erythea World Map.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	2495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emerald Isles.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	2496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emerlene.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	2497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erythea Sphere.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	2498  
    - Tom!

Tom, I think you're off to a great start. I'm definitely looking forward to tracking your progress as time transpires and you get more and more detailed and specific. Thanks for posting, & keep 'em coming!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Praise

Those maps look great. It looks to me like you generated the world in FT and exported certain views as a CC2 file. I've been trying to get that to work myself, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us what things you did to get the FT export to look that way.

Thanks,
    Prism Shard

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by PrismShard View Post
    Those maps look great. It looks to me like you generated the world in FT and exported certain views as a CC2 file. I've been trying to get that to work myself, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us what things you did to get the FT export to look that way.
    Yup, I used Fractal Terrains. I created an FT world map, and then exported it to Campaign Cartographer 3 with the Export to CC2 option.

My FT World Settings were...

Primary tab:
    Highest Peak: 30,000
    Lowest: -30,000
    Circumference: 25,000 miles
    World Seed: 1175910607
    Roughness: .87
    Percent Sea: 69
    Land Size: 2.21

Fractal Function tab:
    Both Flip Vertical and Flip Horizontal were checked.

Using those settings, I just clicked Next World about a hundred times until I got the land/sea configuration I wanted. Then I went in and edited the map with the Paint Raise and Paint Lower editing functions. I raised/lowered land, sea, and temperature settings.

The Export to CC2 part was a little trickier. I created a custom CC2 Export setting, with these settings:

1st screen:
    Only Altitude Contours was checked, and I chose the Basic contours setting.

2nd screen:
    Contour Settings: Draw Filled Colors checked
    Coastline: Draw Coast Outline checked (Black)
    Contour Intervals: 3000 feet

3rd screen:
    Level of detail: Fine (1024)
    Multipoly Each Contour Level was checked.
    Altitude smoothing below sea level: 4

4th screen:
    No options checked

After I exported the map, I just opened it with CC3 and went to work. I'm very new to FT (I just bought it a little over a week ago), so I'm sure my method was a little clunky. It was mainly trial and error.

A BIG THANKS to NeonKnight for sharing his FT tips with me!
    - Tom!

Again, to export, ZOOM to a certain portion and then from the FILE drop down, select the Save CC2 File, from there you will be given all sorts of options.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Again, to export, ZOOM to a certain portion and then from the FILE drop down, select the Save CC2 File, from there you will be given all sorts of options.
    Thanks Neon! My explanation was probably more wordy than it needed to be! I blame the coffee. ;-)
    - Tom!