Thread: The Forest Ruins An Encounter Map

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map The Forest Ruins An Encounter Map

Another map that I "finished" without posting it here. This was an experiment in making my own mapping elements. It was created with GIMP.

WIP Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTougasforestruinsfinal2.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	37340
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I don't think the forest ruins it at all; in fact, I find the trees the best feature of this map. The elongated form of the towers is a bit odd, but not impossible. If I were to have a criticism, it would be that holes in a roof rarely result in tiles turning semi-transparent.

I think it looks good but my only issue is that I think one side of the main building roof should be darker. It would add shadow and give the whole thing more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I don't think the forest ruins it at all...
    Imho the title of the map is 'The Forest Ruins' as it is written in the caption ;-) and you are right, the trees look quite good.

Pretty good work by the way. I agree with rdanhenry talking about the roof - try to add a gradient from black to transperancy to mimic shadows on the right side of the roof. Furthermore you could use a slight bevel and emboss with hard settings and low highlights on the walls to rise them a bit.

With some adjustments on shadows and highlights this would go beyond good!

>Moe

I think this is the best iteration of the map so far. A couple of things that I would suggest to further improve it though, would be to either draw the caved in sections of the building by hand, or perhaps better, to add some debris texture over the caved in area. As it stands, the cave in on the bottom left looks too much like a soft round brush. Also, there are several places where you have a pile of three stones, which I believe represent debris from the wall surrounding the house. However, it is pretty clear that each area of debris is really a single element. I would suggest varying it up a bit, perhaps by cutting out a stone from one and adding it to another piece, something to differentiate the various piles from each other. Otherwise I think it looks good. The trees did come out quite nicely BTW (as has been mentioned).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

looks great, the green offsets the off red roof nicely