Thread: The Miri Isles

Guild Novice

Wip The Miri Isles

This is my first attempt at a map completely from my imagination. I have made maps of fictitious countries on the Earth world map but i have never created an entirely fictitious landscape until discovering this website. So after reading some tutorials (which by the way were FANTASTICALLY helpful) I ended up with this little piece I called "The Miri Isles".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color Miri Isles v1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	707.5 KB 
ID:	37359

I'm planning on adding things like towns and tribes and all that jazz but just for now i thought i'd post it for everyone to see and so I could get some pointers as to what I could do to make it better!

As I've never done a real Satelite style map before..
    So all I have to say is..
    It looks nice.

Guild Apprentice Blindkingofbohemia's Avatar

Wow man! That's pretty darn good!

My only suggestion, maybe add another layer of darker water farther out from the coastlines, to add depth? Apart from that, great!

Guild Journeyer

This looks like a good start. It looks like you've got an underlying elevation model, in which case when adding rivers it's best to add them in accordance with that model.

The coastlines look a bit sharp, like there's equal-height cliffs everywhere. You could work on it to try for a smoother transition.
    I am a geology nerd.

Guild Novice

Yah i was trying to make the western coast line of the main island look like a large sudden drop kind of like the white cliffs of Dover or Beachy Head. I didnt really know how to do that so i just whited out the edge of the elevation map. perhaps i did too much?