Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July/Aug 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: The Arcane Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This is really coming along quite nicely.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Nice. Very nice. What steps did you use to change the style? I'm sure I could fiddle it out eventually, but if you wouldn't mind sharing. =) Something to do with a sketch filter and overlays?
    Thank you ;-) There is no big secret behind the technique but I have to admit that I didn't record the steps in detail. At frist I changed the image to greyscale - then I took some filters such as cutout, colored pencil, graphic pen, underpainting and so on until the picture looked more like a drawing. The results were manually corrected with the clone stamp tool, a pencil with altered brush presets (e.g. scattering and dual brush) and the background eraser. I added a parchment texture as the bottom layer and changed the blending mode of the painting to pin light and a duplication above to screen

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Had to laugh when I read the bit in the lower right... thought it would be another piece of backstory (you could go somewhere with that).
    I hope you hadn't been able to decrypt the text though... It's actually an answer to another post somewhere in the forum which I wrote at the same time. But nevertheless the unreadability has something to do with the background story as the original builders of the Arcane Academy spoke another language. The red notes you can see were added by some anonymous guy some years before Robard purchased the folio. In the next WIP you will see that this guy analyzed the hidden meaning within the architecture. Robard uses this annotations which help him in understanding the purposes of the chambers... but the warnings he ignores ;-)

Working on the next WIP

>Moe

Wip

Finally I am done with the next WIP...

I did the blueprint version, edited the parchment file, added a sheet showing some notes and arranged them together.
    The text written within the notes was a quicky - not much thoughts went into it and i already noticed that there are some
    mistakes - but as it is a WIP-file be assured I will work on it again.

As always: I appreciate any kind of critique!

Time to go to bed now... 2 a.m

>Moe

(low resolution)

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prev4.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	37440  
    Last edited by Moe; 07-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Ooh, this looks very promising!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Ooh, this looks very promising!
    Thanks!
    Here is my next WIP.

Changes:
    -Blueprint edited
    -renewed letter
    -added ruler & pens
    -colors adjustments

As I am not that overwhelming when it comes to the writing of an authentic english text I would love it if you'd had a closer look on the lables and the letter.
    Please tell me of any mistakes or improper style as well as I'd be thankful for any kind of criticism. I'd like to be sure 'bout the final text before I start adding ink stains and so on by hand.

You would help me a lot!

>Moe

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prev5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	37465  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

damn this looks good, great work Moe - looks like I have to pull some all-nighters if I wanna compete
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Wow, this is looking great! I love the little turned up edges on the paper and the fact that the print deforms with it. Really top notch work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    damn this looks good, great work Moe - looks like I have to pull some all-nighters if I wanna compete
    Puh, I get rosy-cheeked - you're ungrudging

Nothing to change within the letter and the lables?

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Thanks for taking time to recall the process you used. It helps. =)

My suggested corrections/changes follow. The final two are based on my perspective of the character and circumstance... you may feel differently. The labels look okay, except I think you want A2 to be loggia. The letter: ... keep RAISING ignorant objections ... / ... most effective FORM ... / ... insists on their BELIEF ... / Dubious FELLOWS, but they are willing to support my plans and the Academy must be rebuilt at all cost. / Strike the last title bit - it's a personal letter.

Very nice. I love how you started with a small sketch and really elaborated on that. This is becoming much more than just a map. There is a complete novel in this drawing.

This is honestly fabulous, Moe.

Just a couple of corrections to the text in the letter:

... magical education in its most effective... (should be no apostrophe in its)
    They are dubious fellows... (they instead of those, fellows instead of fellas)

Chashio covered the rest that I spotted.

Again, splendid work, looking forward to further updates!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast