Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July/August Challenge Entry: Gronks Akadami for Ork Shamin

Professional Artist Justin Raven's Avatar

This is a nice start. I am a big fan of cliff-side/mountain paths like this. I, too, cannot wait to see what happens, here. My biggest concern, at this point is: What is the story, here? How was this path carved? Who made it? Why was it made? When was it made? Where was it made? All these factours contribute to how a landscape looks. I get a very generalized sense of the narrative. Personally, though this is nice, I would love to see some noodly details and character added to this guy Very nice, though. I like the cliffs and the waterfall. That's a sweet touch. You'll have to forgive me, but what is this made in?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that single tree, speaks to the loner in me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the cliffs look really good now - however, I feel the path not really fits well it ruins the perspective of the cliffs for me... maybe if it wasn't winding? The cliffs look very steep and the path more smooth.. its like a series of ladders, or a straight pass would fit better.. or a lift
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

the waterfall is looking very nice. I agree with the shading idea for the path, right now it looks a little artificial.
    [edit- i just figured out what it is.. my mind's eye sees it as a narrow path crossing a wide chasm, but then the waterfall switches it to a cliffside.. and i go back and forth going AGH! ... very escheresque!]

i'll agree with ascension though - the single tree really speaks to me (seriously thoughy, I really like the way it looks)
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-08-2011 at 03:49 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

coyote - yep.. I thought the same when I first saw it as a "bridge" over a chasm
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

I tihnk that if if I shade just the right areas around the path(perhaps redraw it also?) it will stand out more as carved into the rock... The key point is that where each switch back "curves", the background needs to be shaded such that it appears as if that section is extruded from the cliff... I also plan to draw a few "ledges" which will also help with the illusion, but will also need to re-shade the areas under the ledges to form more of a V shape to make then stand out.....

Sorry guys.. but I have to add more tree's.... glad you like that one tree though..lol....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Not much in the way of progress... I just added an insert that I will populate with a topdown view of the "school". I never realized how hard it was to draw a straight line until now...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gronks.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	37679  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

in photoshop you can hold SHIFT down for straight lines ... perhaps Gimp has that as well?
    regs tilt

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    in photoshop you can hold SHIFT down for straight lines ... perhaps Gimp has that as well?
    Yes, it does... but...well.. that's kind of against the idea of a hand drawn picture though aint it? The "artist" who "drew" this map did not exactly have a set of rulers, especially considering that he was an Ork...heh... btw.. thats part of the story of this map...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Hmm... me add big mountain.... not sure if it fits... it's mainly there to fill space...I like it as a whole... but don't know if it's right for this piece... Comments?

Oh.. I will be coming back and adding some hard lines to the mountain where the light/dark separates....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gronks.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	37685  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 08-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast